AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: pest free chicken feeders
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:07 am 

I've been looking for ages for something that doesn't feed the hundreds of local turtle necked doves. I've tried scarecrows, bird dogs (he got sick of chasing so many so often), buckets with holes in it, upside down laundry baskets (worked for about a month until the doves figured it out).

I was putting off even thinking about grandpas feeder because its so expensive - - http://www.poultry-feeders.com/

but I eventually did the sums, worked out how much feed four chooks that free range about 200 square metres would eat and then how much I was actually feeding... I'm going through 25kg of feed in 2-3 weeks.

It'll take a while to pay for itself but I finally lashed out and bought a grandpas.

Paid for it Friday via an internet bank transfer, it was posted monday from geelong (I think) and I got it Wednesday.

I followed the instructions about training the chooks and found that the Lohman browns were operating the bin on Saturday arvo while it was fully closed ( the training has a few setting, fully open all the time, half open and then closed)
the Sussex light were still being spooked sunday morning so I had to leave it half open...

it is excellent - and once we go to the fully closed position where the weight of the bird opens the lid things will be sweet.

Have a look at it, think about it, do your sums.... it will stop all birds and rats - though rats may get the know how to have four or five stand on it at the one time don't know - we haven't got that problem..

This isn't an advert and I did pay full price. It is a product that solves my problem (though an expensive solution). I don't know grandpa other than the web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:57 am 

That product is always advertised in Australasian poultry.
its good it comes with instructions on how to teach your birds.
Im glad it worked out for you :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:42 am 

I really like these feeders. May I ask what size you got and how much was it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 pm 

Hi CL - have you looked at the website yet? It seems we can only get medium sized ones in Australia - is that right paradisi? They are $195 plus freight - in your case, $30 to sunny QLD! ;)

They sound very tempting.......it's always good to get a review from someone who has actually used a product so thanks for the post paradisi!

I do think I would need the larger size at my place, though. At last count I had 38 chooks roaring around our yard.

We have a definite pigeon problem here - those little bobbing-head topknot type ones. The white cockies also get away with a bit, as do the horrible rats and mice I'm sure once the sun goes down. :evil:

Post subject: Re: pest free chicken feeders
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:35 pm 

I don't normally like to reply to forum posts such as this due to advertising, however this is right up our alley. The Dine-a-chook feeder is saving hundreds of our clients a lot of feed which is stolen by unwanted birds. If I can help in any way please contact us via our website.

Regards

Ryan
Www.dineachook.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:35 am 

Do you still get the mango seed weevils in those feeders? trying to find a feeder that stops them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:37 am 

Ok, newbie question, what is a mango seed wevall?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:58 pm 

Farmer Dandy wrote:
Do you still get the mango seed weevils in those feeders? trying to find a feeder that stops them?

Ohhhh, I wondered what those little bugs were. They come/hatch in the bags of feed. I just had to throw a whole bag of feed out the other day because when I opened it, it was riddled with them!

So I don't think it's the feeder, you may have to change the brand of feed you buy cause you might find they're already in the food when you buy it. What brand do you buy?

I can't remember what brand it was that I had to throw away, it was in a blue & red bag, but I have not had that trouble/bugs with the BArastock brand.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 am 

Dine-a-Chook these are mango seed weevils
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/18269.html

But we may have the Granary Weevil instead by the looks but very similar to the mango seed weevils

http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/ento/p ... -991113051

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18 am 

I get those little black critters in the grain all the time how do you get rid of them?