AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: I thought i saw a RAT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:33 pm 

That is so true Doolan I feel its best they eat none but its hard when you get an outbreak of mice and you need them reduced fast and all at once so baits the only way but I would like not to use it either but it works so well on so many and quickly. I have eben seen a kookaburra eat a sick mouse and he was not affected either but I wish they would not eat them all the same

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:26 pm 

Gosh its hard..we try to do our best but the guilt is over whelming...just noticed under my lemon tree which is in the chook pen, is a large hole about the size of a golf ball..so i fill it in, back again, so i stuck the hose down, filled it again and today..a fresh hole....no rat pooh..thinking bandicoot....PLEASE tell me rats dont burrow......??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:33 pm 

TP Member: Yes
I think rats do burrow [smilie=a_holycrap.gif] conf665

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 pm 

Rats live in holes/burrows its their natural way to live

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:20 pm 

I've used rat baits for more than 15 years never had a dead chook and yep they sometimes eat the dieing mice don't seem to affect them at all, well not at my place anyways

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm 

Yes I hear you.....but my big concern (via lovely vet lady) was the new form of bait I bought last time which was the Big Cheese brand where they arent poisoned as such but the lethal chemical in it sort of acts like a snake bite and causes an anticoagulant and they bleed out and it stays in and around the dead rat....i just dont want to risk it.....best stick to the old tried and true baits that the chook would actually have to ingest the stomach of the rat to die I think...not sure....yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:26 am 

BIG CHEESE

A Safer Poison Bait

Using poison baits around the home is one the most common methods of controlling rats and mice. Although extremely effective at killing rodent pests, they can also be harmful to non-target species including cats, dogs, livestock, wildlife and even people. The Big Cheese bait products use the active ingredient called Difenacoum. Highly effective against both rats and mice, it’s proven to be much friendlier to non-target animals than existing baits sold in Australia.

How it WorksIt works by lethal dose of active (Difenacoum) versus body weight. A person, cat or dog would need to consume a larger amount of The Big Cheese bait to have an adverse effect as opposed to most other baits sold. However with rats and mice being so small, they only need to consume small amounts to be fatal.

For example, a Rat would need to eat only a small amount of The Big Cheese bait to be fatal, however a dog would need to eat well over 1 kilogram of The Big Cheese Bait.

The table below shows you how much bait rodents need to eat to be fatal. Although very effective, you'll also see many are extremely harmful to dogs. In some cases, dogs would only need to eat 5 grams of bait to be fatal.

http://www.the-bigcheese.com.au/about/a ... oison-bait

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:28 am 

Attachment:
chart.png
chart.png [ 7.49 KiB | Viewed 4228 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 am 

Well that makes me feel less guilty .....but i threw the stuff out after seeing the mess the rat left in my pen....but at least my girls werent interested in it..x

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:14 pm 

Happy to have clarified for you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next