AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Crows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:07 am 

Hi new to the forum. I have a growing problem with crows hanging around the chicken coop it started with 2 crows a few months ago now we have a dozen or more every day and they are driving me up the wall. It’s more the noise of them I can’t stand but they are stealing scraps or were until I started closing the door after letting the chooks out. The coop is fully enclosed so I don’t know why they are still hanging around or more importantly how do I get rid of them? HELP!!!

Post subject: Re: Crows
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 pm 

I don't have crows but I have a flock of Noisy Minor birds and Top Knot Pidgoens hanging around our cages stealing food! They fit inbetween the wire squares as they are so small! Grrrrrrrr :x

Maybe you just need to persist for a few weeks until they get the message that the food is no longer freely available?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:53 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

They are after the food and any eggs they can steal – crows love eggs

As you now have a murder of crows at your place you will have to ensure they don’t get what they want and they will eventually leave

Also DON’T let any young chicks out = they will be crow food if you do

edited to correct the name of a group of crows = it is 'a murder of crows' not a funeral - that comes later obviously

Last edited by oozcorpse on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 pm 

Maldon,
As mentioned, the crows will hang around while they are getting food. I know of some methods of lets call it encouraging them to leave the area, however these are not legal, as such cannot really advise what to do in that situation. Crows are a protected species!!!.

An "old" method to keep crows away was after one "died" possibly "road kill", was to hang it in a tree or on the fence post near the yard. The other crows stay away for a period of time.

If you carry a stick around with you while in the yard, if you see a crow point it at the crow like it is a gun. You will be suprised how soon it will fly away after seeing you pointing the stick at it. This is not a complete solution ;). Remembering the old crow is a very clever bird.

If they are after the eggs, you could always mix some very hot chilli's up into a paste, chip a hole in the eggs and mix yolk and chilli together, with the shell making a edible bowl. Place the egg where the crow will be able to enjoy a "free meal", and of course when you can watch the show. This will change the mind on the eggs for a while. This method also helps with hens whole like the taste of eggs. (different topic).

Rhode Red

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 pm 

Use an own windvane like this

yes they do work well

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 am 

Thank you all very helpful. The windvane looks interesting would that also work to scare hawks away?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:43 pm 

I have been reading this with interest as crows are driving me crazy they are such a pain in the ---- stealing food, eggs and making a hell of a noise all day I will try that windvane idea also and see if it work with any luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:07 am 

Will be interesting to compare how we both go Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:43 pm 

soozorps wrote:
As you now have a funeral of crows [I think that is what a lot of crows together is called]

Close its what comes before the funeral its a "Murder" of crows.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 pm 

I have a problem with sparrows and doves. I'm (slowly) covering the large gauge wire with small, @1cm, chicken wire. Unfortunately the chicken door is where the doves come in and they're too stupid to find the way out again. I can't tell you how many dove bodies i've had to remove because they bash themselves around trying to get out.

So it might stop the sparrows but I don't think it will stop the doves. Might have to put up some plastic strips and hope they don't put the girls off too.

I do have one of those garden owls and no one is scared of it. I did move it round all the time but it made no difference. :-?

I'd be interested to see how the weather vane works too.

I was thinking I could whip something up like my grandfather had in his veggie garden. You know a bird shape with rotating wings. They seem to work.

1 Tibetan Mastiff (Odin), 1 Rottweiler (RIP Sam 18-10-99 to 27-5-11), 2 Moggies (Pepper & Max), 24 chooks (Barred Plymouth Rocks x 3,Light Sussex x 1, Barnevelder x 3, Australorps x 3, Araucana x 7, ISA Brown x 6)
Barry the leghorn on permanent loan
Four Swedish Blue ducklings.
....... and always looking for more

Profile E-mail  

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, 9 Ducks, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Ann Meek, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, Baz Fitzgerald, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, Black Lories, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Chang Lee, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Dan41, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, Darren James, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, Ducks & Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Easter Eggerz, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Ewan Watkins, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, FattyFarm, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, Garth Lester, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Macaws, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Gosford Geese, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, gramps, GreenWest, Greg Davies, Grove_Guineas, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea Love, Guinea Obsession, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, Healesville Arucana, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jarryd Holmes, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, Jocon, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lavender Guinea Fowl, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamaPyjamaHens, MamasPyjamas, Mandy More, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margaret Stuart, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Michael Underwood, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, nathanael bantams, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Guinea Fowl, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, PingLee, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, rowan1, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, Sandra O'Neil, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Sheffield Pekins, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sultans Stud Qld, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Tony & Linda, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, Vivian Stephen, W Brown, WA GUINEA FOWL GUY, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WoodAviaries, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679789 guests