AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Porridge for Chooks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:07 am 

Hi All,

I have read some great home remedies for chook health on this 'ere forum,
but surprise, surprise, not a mention of "porridge" the age old remedy to get your girls laying.

Of course if they are moulting, or a sick -porridge is NOT going to create miracles!

Just buy good old basic local grocers shop porridge mix, ( plain rolled oats) mix as per the instructions.
(I nearly blew up the microwave oven!!)
I added a clove or two of garlic, which we all know is natures antibiotic!!
"Hoots mon Laddie! That's nay how ye make a wee draught of porridge............

Garlic porridge-Yuk!!- but my girls absolutely loved it, and
YES!! there is an improvement in egg numbers.

Good Luck!!

Bundyjondy

Post subject: Re: Porridge for Chooks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

This is my opinion only and I am very happy to here many and varied answered to this one –
I am surprised that oats worked to get the girls laying as there is little nutritional value in oats [where birds are concerned] – oats are basically chook lollies
To my knowledge protein levels is what helps encourage egg production – I have worked with Phoenix and Yokohamas for a few years now and learnt very fast the protein levels required to have these breeds be effective layers. Also owning Orpingtons for a great many years I know the benefits of increased protein at the right times of year

Anyone else got ideas re this subject that they are happyt o put here??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 am 

My grandmother also swore by porridge for the chooks and she even served it warm for them. She used some powdered milk also but not garlic that I can remember. Good to see the old home remedies are still getting around

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:50 am 

I read this yesterday I thought I will try this and see if it helps with some of my lazy girls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:26 am 

I must say I do agree with Sooz.

I would be interested to find out if the girls not laying well, before being given porridge, had food on tap or not? Maybe having a little extra nourishment gave them a boost for more eggs??

Potentially they weren't laying well because they were moulting or the weather was hot and giving them porridge co-incided with them coming back on the lay anwyay?

Eggs and feathers are basically made of protein (with calcium being required for the egg shell) so oats really shouldn't have a bearing on allowing a chook to produce more of them. A 'treat' of meaty (not seafood) catfood every now and then can sometimes do wonders for a protein boost too. (Dog food tends to be too salty).

I would also make sure the girls are wormed and have shellgrit available at all times to help sustain egg production.

They obviously loved their porridge and that can't be a bad thing! (As long as they don't fill up on that and not their nutritionally balanced pellets though). :-D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

WheatonBantams wrote:
My grandmother also swore by porridge for the chooks and she even served it warm for them. She used some powdered milk also but not garlic that I can remember. Good to see the old home remedies are still getting around

milk WITH porridge is a different story = the milk means protein

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:34 am 

So mixing the porridge with the powdered milk would be the best idea? should it be cold for them to eat?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 am 

Just keep in mind some breeders say dairy products are not digestible by chooks so it could be a good idea to do some reasearch before adding it to their diet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:45 pm 

I will and thank you roova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 pm 

In saying that my girls LOVE shredded cheese and I sometimes throw them a handful and watch them go crazy! I haven't seen any negative result of this (that I can tell visually anyway). I think like us humans, anything in moderation is ok. :-D