AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: How young will a chook go clucky?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:43 am 

Hi wave.gif

I have a Speckled Sussex (approx 8 mths old)& she has been starting to crack up at me if she is sitting on the nest when I go in to collect the eggs.

I don't even touch her & she yells (squarks) at me & completely fluffs up, like a warning to stay away. Which I presume would mean she may go clucky sometime sooner rather than later.

She's only been laying since the beginning of Feb so i didn't think she would start being clucky for at least another 6 months.

Can anyone tell me how young their girl was when she went clucky & how young she was?

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

Post subject: Re: How young will a chook go clucky?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 am 

Araucana's are not a particular broody breed, Boss Chookie was 12 months old, when she sat on her first clutch which wasn't successful. She had only been laying for about 2 months before she first went broody.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14306

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14372

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:11 pm 

What about Sussex hens?

Are they known to be a clucky bunch?

Honestly, every time I go into the coop when my Sussex is laying an egg, I get roused on by her. I can practically hear her yet "GET OUT!", she literally screams at me.

She's only 8 months, but she is starting to show all the signs. But that said, I don't know what the signs are, hence the reason for my post.

Did Boss Chookie show any 'per-signs' of going clucky?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:12 am 

Chicka-Dee wrote:
What about Sussex hens?

Did Boss Chookie show any 'per-signs' of going clucky?

Sorry, I don't know about Sussex hens and broodiness, Araucanas are not a broody breed yet I had two broody Araucanas and recently Boss Chookie now living with Mr. Rooster on a farm has had 4 chicks hatch!!!

Well I think that Boss Chookie went broody to have a rest from Mr. Rooster, and then The Pretty One who showed no interest in motherhood at all also went broody as she had lost a few back feathers being Mr. Rooster's only girl.

Boss Chookie showed more visible signs of going broody, she started to sit tight on the nest for long periods, her body temperature was really hot and she started making these really deep growling clucks and pecking your hand when sitting. The Pretty One just laid an egg and sat on it and didn't go off, so we put 6 of her eggs under her one night.

Broody hens sort of have this possessed look about them and don't respond to humans other than peck them,
"Please, do not not disturb. Go away, I'm nesting..."

Attachments:
File comment: Boss Chookie Nesting.
Sitting Araucana.jpg
Sitting Araucana.jpg [ 74.12 KiB | Viewed 4984 times ]
The Pretty One Nesting.jpg
The Pretty One Nesting.jpg [ 126.29 KiB | Viewed 5096 times ]

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 am 

Okay, it's official. My 8month old speckled Sussex has gone broody. She has now been sitting on this one egg now or 4hours & nearly took my hand off before.

Now I am wanting to know....how often do hens go broody?

Hubby & I don't want her to sit on any eggs this time round as we are building a new coop next week but wouldn't mind putting some eggs under her next time. But don't know how long that will be.

So, does anyone have any idea how often chooks go broody? Is it a seasonal thing? Or is it random?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 pm 

Hormones are funny things...Both seasonal and random with broodiness, chooks also have biological clocks that make them go clucky, any young roosters around, as it is end of season?

She needs to "cool off" therefore not be so comfortable sitting in her nesting box. Depending on the type of your nesting box, the next she hops for for a feed, drink and toilet break, block off access to the nesting area, or some people separate their broody's that they don't want broody in a cage to cool off with food and water, once again to make them uncomfortable and not want to nest in a nice soft and cosy nesting box.

Had a chook that went broody shortly after raising her family and her not so little ones moved on; she went broody again, went rather psychotic after I took the one egg she was sitting on away, in hindsight I wish I didn't as I had continual behavioural problems with her, but hen keeping is an on going learning experience...

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:09 pm 

Ta HH

So essentially they go broody whenever they feel like it and there isn't really any definite times of the year (unless maybe spring can be considered a definite maybe) that we can count on.

Oh well, hopefully by the next time she gets broody she will be more mature. I worry about her being so young that she might not do so well if we allow her to become a mum so soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 pm 

Hi, Chicka-Dee wave.gif ,

Maybe because she was an originally Northern Hemisphere chook, she thinks she it is Spring!!!

Posted this link before but some first time mother's are dedicated to sit and some might be tempted to get off for an extra extended period of time and well disasters happen...Be prepared for broodiness, motherhood and chick raising. I've learnt from eggsperience, always have a an extra small coop/hutch available for broody hens and their chick raising.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14372

If you are not prepared and or you feel that your girl isn't quite ready then think things through and whether you feel that the timing is right for your Sussex and you. Ultimately, it is you that can influence and encourage her to sit or not to sit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:11 pm 

Thanks PP

Not sure why she's decided to go all broody, especially with winter moving in & we don't even have a rooster, so its a complete mystery.

Read your link/post which was good/inciteful.

Quote:
Ultimately, it is you that can influence and encourage her to sit

How do I do this? Lock her up in a box once she shows signs of going broody? I know if I don't want her to, I just keep kicking her off, or just take her eggs away, but not sure how to encourage her? Also, won't moving a broody hen off her riginal nest make her go un-broody?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:30 pm 

Not a box th_Noooo.gif Chicka-Dee more like a cage as H&H suggested to make her uncomfortable and cool her off, some broody's are really stubborn.

If you want her to sit just leave her on the egg/clutch and move her at night to a broody abode and pop some fertile eggs under her, lots of posts on the correct method on how to move broodys.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next