AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Ga Noi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:39 am 

Interested in any or all feed back on this breed.
I am a long time breeder of Malays and recently given 4 chicks of the Ga Noi breed, the gift made because it was felt I may be interested in them.
My problem is to know what they should correctly be, type etc as far as a breed standard goes.
It was explained to me in simple terms that they are a naked neck Malay.
From what I have seen and read (googled) they appear to have many variants ie walnut, pea and single comb, totally devoid of feathers and some fully feathered, varied leg colour etc.
I know they are a true "game" fowl in thier country of origin but am interested to know what I should be aiming for breeding wise.
Things like size/weight, height, combs and body structure.
To date have found them to be a great pleasure and certainly a breed of interest, if correctly they are very similar to the Malay, will keep them and continue, some of what I have seen and told were true Ga Noi are not to my liking.
Interested in what info you may have to offer and pics of correct fowls would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys/girls.

Post subject: Re: Ga Noi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:27 pm 

There may well already be a standard for them, ie Vietnamese? but I doubt we can read it. I had tried to get my hands on some started malay x TNN but no luck. Everthis project.y time I start my own cross, I have losses for one reason or another.

In my opinion, if you can make them ala Malay type and colour, walnut comb with the Na gene, I reckon you would be 95% already there. If you produce any self colours, that would be a bonus but I would firstly like to see them in Malay colour.

when you have made many, I'll be waiting for some of the progeny lol.
good luck with

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:43 pm 

Thanks for that.
What I have are walnut comb piles, very tall strong and good bone.
The Malays are in a variety of colours including whites and ginger so could be a starting point for the solid colours and can work on other colours as time progresses.
Not old enough to breed until next deason so atm just growing them out to be the strongest I can.
Will keep you informed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 pm 

I was told once that a mating of normal "type" tp Malay would result in normal type fowl. I beg to differ as this is not what I experienced in my own matings. What I am getting at, is if you have white Malay, you can get to black Malay easily by cross to something like australorp. You will get colour and can selcet for Malay type. I should surely like to see the progress of this in a year or so. It would be something I would do, but you are already two generations in front of me so....give it a go and keep me informed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:30 pm 

Hi i have been researching Ganoi for the past ten years and travelled all over australia looking at so called Pure Ganoi also have been over seas looking and researching them, I have only found 2 pure breeders of Ganio in australia one in Central West of NSW and one in Qld, These two breeders have 100% pure Ganoi and are of high quality with the correct type, and the gameness and endurance that pure ganoi are admired for , I do not understand how people think they can make ganoi up from malays and other fowls if it made up its pure is it it doesn't matter if it looks like it or not you will not have the gameness and endurance that they should have. so for all you peole out there that are making fowls up why dont you call them what they are X breeds and they are nothing more then that

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm 

asaingamefowl wrote:
Hi i have been researching Ganoi for the past ten years and travelled all over australia looking at so called Pure Ganoi also have been over seas looking and researching them, I have only found 2 pure breeders of Ganio in australia one in Central West of NSW and one in Qld, These two breeders have 100% pure Ganoi and are of high quality with the correct type, and the gameness and endurance that pure ganoi are admired for , I do not understand how people think they can make ganoi up from malays and other fowls if it made up its pure is it it doesn't matter if it looks like it or not you will not have the gameness and endurance that they should have. so for all you peole out there that are making fowls up why dont you call them what they are X breeds and they are nothing more then that

i think you have answered your own question my friend. No pure Ganoi in Australia. If you think that's what you have seen, I bet it will a very good recreation, using just the makeup of what has been maligned.

If you feel different, put the images up and show me precisely the differences , or what cannot be achieved in a recreation. I would be extremely interested.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:04 pm 

Byhookorchook,
He poses an interesting scenario.
I wonder how they know they are "pure", unless they have smuggled them in and thus put the rest of us at risk, that is claimed as to how they got here.
Likewise they are reputed to have endurance and are game, how do they know unless they are pitting them which in this country is illegal.
Or do they want to claim some exclusive domain to uphold the ridiculous money they are asking for what I have seen are not even true game fowls.
I have the adavantage of having seen some that he refers to and would not have parted with 1/10 what they were asking or even given them feeding space if they were gifted to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 pm 

I have also seen some in Sydney and I would have bought if he was willing to part with. ihave his name and number, but they too were Malay running with big naked necks. I think claiming purity just underestimates good recreation. I have many hetrezygote naked necks, with no bow ties at all. Such is the diversity of genetic outcomes I think it niiave to claim purity unless lineage is fully established and open for scrutiny. :mrgreen:

How aare your chicks growing out? Any photos of them ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 pm 

If you guys think there are no pure Ganoi in australia that's up to you,You think because none have been imported into australia legally that none in australia so i can assume that you also think there are no pure American Game , Yokos , Shamo ,Beared Silkies and the list goes on, are not in australia in a pure form, And for you saying that the game fowls you seen are not pure what do you gauge that on as you stated in your postings that you don't know what there standards are, and for you to say that they aren't worth 1 /10 of the asking price well that's your thoughts.by the way if you have seen them what was the price he wanted for them as if it is the person i am talking about he has not had any for sale for 2 years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:11 am 

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.
We are motivated by different things and coming from a completely different perspective.
I am not financially motivated and as such keep my fowls for the immense pleasure I gain and from the valued relationships I have built with my peers.
I have never doubted that there are Ga Noi in this country and agree they were illegally imported (smuggled) as were many other breeds, colours and varieties.
This being the case and no serious disease outbreak has resulted I would count yourself lucky you have dodged a bullet as have the rest of us put at risk by the reckless actions of a few.
In recent memory most will remember the outbreak of Newcastle Disease in the central coast of NSW where every feathered bird was destroyed in a radius so far from the outbreak, even long held family pet parrots and the like as well as commercial farms , backyard breeders and poultry keepers.
I have bred my fowls for over 50 yrs, judged for over 40 yrs and value too much the time and efffort invested to put them at risk.
I also well remember the pidgeon breeder south of Sydney that thought he had got away with smuggling in birds until every bird on the place was killed.
This brings me to my next point why I did not want these fowls on my place, I did not want to risk the lot being slaughtered.I did not want the Federal Police and AQIS knocking on my door and killing every fowl on the place, to say nothing of the fines or chances of imprisonment.
I do not doubt the fowls imported are game and have endurance but what they did lack was consistency in many other respects, this is only established by years of selective breeding and careful selection of brood stock.
How are you going to know if your "gameness and endurance " are still present unless you are going to continue to flaunt the law and pit them. From a lifetime of experience with gamefowl I know it only takes one wrong mating to lose that ability to stay the distance and take steel, not that Ga Noi are fought in heels but the fortitude to stand and fight, not run is shared by all game breeds.
I also wonder if the breeders in NSW and Qld you refer to are pleased you are telling the world of thier indiscretions and risking for your self gratification thier breeding enterprise.
I think the word here is "discretion", you would be well reminded to remember it, you only joined yesterday, 4/2/2011 and already have only 2 posts to your credit, both hostile and inflamatory.
The rest of us here conduct ourselves in a civil and polite manner because we respect each other even if we do not always agree, this respect is bourne of our shared love of poultry and the pleasure we derive from it.