AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: battery hens any good
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:41 pm 

Are the x battery hens any good for a home coop with kids. I have a friend that is trying to talk me into getting a few but not sure

Post subject: Re: battery hens any good
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 am 

Battery hens/commercial layers can be both good and bad. The good part is the commercial layers often lay large eggs close to daily. They can be quite bold confident birds which can fit in well with a family, becoming quite friendly and good pets.

The bad part is the commercial layers are designed to lay themselves to an early death. This is why they are often sold at a young age. Someone else takes them on, helps fund the farmer for his next lot of hens and gets the hen for a short time until it generally dies of reproductive problems. They are also quite aggressive to any newcomers so when you decide to expand your flock you have to be very careful about introductions - much harder than other breeds.
They also require a bit of extra care and attention to their health and husbandry because of their special needs. Laying every day takes a lot of protein, and these type of hens often struggle when it comes to moulting.

Purebred hens tends to stop laying while their body is dropping old feathers and producing new ones. Feathers take a lot of protein too. Because they are designed to keep laying they can get caught in long moults and look pretty terrible. There is special food available which is a little different to the average layer pellet which you might have to source. You definitely want ot make sure you have shellgrit available at all times, and oyster shell if you can find it. This helps the hen replace all the calcium used producing an egg shell every day.

You might want to have a look at this thread about battery hens.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7980

Although it seems you're doing the right thing taking on battery hens because they'll have a lovely life outside of their cage - it does come with problems. Purebred hens although they can lay less eggs, often lay for a lot longer and don't have the same health problems of a commercial layer. They come in a range of colours, shapes and sizes (whereas the ex battery hens tend to be all reddish/white). Australorps are an australian breed and have a very good reputation as good eggs layers and good pets. You'll get lots of different opinions from people on here, because everyone has a favorite breed for a reason.

All I can say is do a bit of research and really make sure you're going to be happy with what you end up getting. Chooks are great pets and very addictive! Good luck :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Roova = I'm butting in = even tho yr answer is good - mine is

one word = NO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:25 pm 

Well I tend to disagree, sorry
I have one that I found on the side of freeway, a whole heap were dead and a few were running around. I managed to catch 2 and bring them home. hardly any feathers. Dog got the other 1.

Anyways, I have explained to the kids she wont live long, shes had a hard life etc. But she (Zohan) is a fantastic chicken, she follows you around walks into the house for her treats and yes she can be dominate but the other chickens just leave her be. The rooster will call her in at night and she will never listen, she has decided she is more dog than chicken.

She has a fantastic personality and will hop in the car to say "hey where are we going today?"

I feel blessed to have let her know the joys a chicken should have.

Yes she may not live long but, she will give you 100% while shes around. Its like they know you have helped them.
Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 am 

Thank you for the info I like the idea of doing a good deed and maybe I will try just 2 or 3 and test the water so to speak. I also think some pure breeds as well maybe the other solution so if the x battery hens don't last then we have the others and the kids won't take the loss so hard. Thank you for taking the time to answer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:15 am 

Please make sure you do some research first as they require different care to the average hen. If you just want them in a pen together all being treated the same, they may not do so well.

There is specific feed you should buy to offer their bodies what they need to lay large eggs every day (even through a moult). Don't forget to have shellgrit available 24/7 (or Oyster shell if you can find it).

As long as you go into it with your eyes open (and are prepared to help them out of their misery when necessary) then good luck and have fun with your new chooks :-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:23 pm 

I agree with everything written but I will add they are so rewarding to have and you are going such a good deed it makes you feel very proud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 am 

X Battery hens are lovely they are so gentle and appreciative of the outside world they so enjoy their new found freedom. Yes please rescue as many as you can and give them the new life they deserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:17 am 

Private Member: Yes
Attachment:
428632119_942797467213429_4719793085244445777_n.jpg
428632119_942797467213429_4719793085244445777_n.jpg [ 92.5 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 am 

blackdotte wrote:
Attachment:
428632119_942797467213429_4719793085244445777_n.jpg

Love it