AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Eggs or no eggs
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:54 pm 

Hi all, I have 18 hens ages ranging from 18mths to 8 yrs.
Their pedigree is GLW, x AO and some silkie with RIR way back.
I am lucky to get more than 5 eggs a day, and that is on a good day.
Lately I have been getting soft shelled eggs and yes I give them shell grit.
I have recently added meat meal with their grain.
I feed them Barostoc Premium Layer Mash which is 16% protein.
They get lots of greens of all kinds every day.
My only problem is I cannot let their food hang for total access because of the geese and whistler ducks raiding it.
I lock the geese out if I can and have to hunt the whistlers off as they are enmasse right now.
The chooks get their grain morning and afternoon.
Would it help if I got a bag of grain with mollasses in it to mix with the above mentioned lot?
Is there something I am not doing right? besides not being able to give them all day access to their food.
I thank responses in advance and for any feedback.

Post subject: Re: Eggs or no eggs
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:59 pm 

Fi have a similar problem with a mix of girls all purebred 4 eggs from 13 chooks and it begins in February when the heavier girls start moulting . 5 months a year not laying seems a bit much even if they last for years. They get all the treats and have now finished moulting but if past performance is an indication they won't lay for a while yet. The leghorn ...white ..is the best layer but shells are soft. No reason for it to be so and she likes to hide them . Very frustrating. Should I go back to isa
Browns?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:59 pm 

They love mollasses and its so good for them and the eggs taste

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:41 am 

I have had it suggested that the soft shell could be from my older hens.
Yesterday I actually got an egg with no shell.
This is all foreign to my girls. I am getting weak shells which break in the nest when another hen goes in to lay.
All my eggs in the past have been good in quality. I don't know what is going wrong. A lot are small as well and I only have 4 silky two of which are crosses. The rest of the hens are medium to largeish and should lay a good size egg.
I was getting good size eggs about 2 months ago. Now all small. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:58 am 

Hi all I will apologise for waffling in advance, as I am nonplussed in why I can't get eggs.
I have changed my chook food to see if that makes a difference.
Sometimes when I change the food it seems to give them a kick start to laying even if for a while.
I now give them:
grain with some pellets and mollases. Sorry I can't remember the brand.
heaps of greens every day.
I am also giving meat meal in their food
No difference to the laying.
I am cooking the egg shells in the microwave and crushing them to feed them back to the chooks.
This is because of the soft or weak shells. The oyster shell doesn't make a difference.
I have had the laying problems for some time. Just over a year ago I was getting about 9 to 12 eggs a day.
As I mentioned, I have 18 hens of which 2 are retired due to old age and don't lay.

I keep the geese away from the chook feed in the mornings and at night so that they can get more food.The geese push the chooks out and take all the seed in the hopper if I don't.
I was considering changing all my hens to another breed, but all these have been born and bred here with me and I am rather attached to them. The last time I sold any hens I mistakenly sold 3 of my best layers and noticed the drop in production immediately.
I was not happy.
What else can I do to increase the egg production, please if anyone has any ideas I will try anything that has been proven.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5680134 guests