AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INJURED PEACHICK FOOT -With photos
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:06 am 

Hi there

I have 4 to 5 week old peachick (three) and one of them has a limping leg! I thought at first it may be broken but on further witness it looks like the out side toe is broken!
THe peachick is still following mother grazing and eating and drinking however limping and somewhat nursing its foot! Has anyone had experience this before?

As I have had no reply on this I have decided to Re-Type this post.

The limited research that is available out there I have read it. I thought my little one had a slipped tendon, but after my husband and I had caught it and brought up under neath the light to inspect the little chicks foot we have found the toes to be broken! Upon inspection once felt the toes didn't curl up like the good foot did! The toes remained straight.

The hock joint was a little worn as clearly the peachick has been using it to put weight on it. (So I padded up the hock joint with a bandaid which will fall off)
The peachick has not been nursing the foot as much as the last 2 days (but still stretching the leg out in full) and putting a little more weight on the foot today before we caught it.

I think we will just have a little girl that has limp..... it's the best we can do without amputation...and to be honest I think it will get better as best it can - but will have a light limp.

Photos are below

Attachments:
Peachick 3 foot.jpg
Peachick 3 foot.jpg [ 28.89 KiB | Viewed 11588 times ]

Last edited by Pea-Goddess on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: INJURED PEACHICK FOOT
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:19 pm 

Another Photo of Peachicks' foot and her nursing the foot!

Attachments:
Peachick 1 foot.jpg
Peachick 1 foot.jpg [ 81.43 KiB | Viewed 11580 times ]
Peachick 1.jpg
Peachick 1.jpg [ 104.61 KiB | Viewed 11557 times ]

Post subject: Re: INJURED PEACHICK FOOT -With photos
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:15 pm 

Hi, Pea-Goddess wave.gif ,

Poor little baby :( She must be enduring so much pain :(

Sorry you had to repost this topic, but maybe it actually needs to be reposted in Peafowl & Pheasants where peafowl eggsperts can help you, there are most sick chookies on Poultry Health & Wellbeing

viewforum.php?f=2&start=0

Here are some threads to various broken parts and splints

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14569&p=111447&hilit=splint+on+broken#p111447

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11258&hilit=splint+on+broken

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8980&p=86786&hilit=splint+on+broken#p86786

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4732&p=53700&hilit=splint+on+broken#p53700

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:08 pm 

Hi there

I already originally posted in the Peafowl area- its all I read really...as I only care for peafowl!

I'M not too sure who moved it into health and wellbeing but I will try to repost it there- the thread still appears just redirected to here!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO AND LINKS YOU ARE A TRUE ANGEL!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:48 am 

Thank you, kindly, Pea_Goddess, 52.gif

Hope that you could find some useful information and that your baby's injury heals.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:53 am 

Private Member: Yes
You are best to leave it be just make sure the foot has colour which means there is blood flow it should heal on its own

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 am 
­
­

That is good advice from plpheasant there is little you can do except avoiding stress on the peachick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:13 pm 

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE- wave.gif [smilie=thanks.gif]

This will be the fifth day of our little one's injury and she seems to be limping around a little more (as in a good observation) as she doesn't sit down and rest as much, The little peachick can now can limp around and keep up with the mother and 2 other siblings.
It's on the improve slowly she still puts weight on it more and more each day.

Thanks for this and I guess she just wanted to be noted and unique! [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:00 pm 

UPDATE;

TOTALLY HEALED! I cannot even tell which foot it is-so no limping, nothing! PERFECT!

[smilie=thanks.gif]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:42 pm 

Pea-Goddess wrote:
UPDATE;

TOTALLY HEALED! I cannot even tell which foot it is-so no limping, nothing! PERFECT!

[smilie=thanks.gif]

WONDERFUL news ! i love updates with great news. th_clap.gif

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next