AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Judging
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 pm 

When judging takes place do the judges use a points score to find a winner or winners or do they compare with the other fowls in the class and overall winners or do they use both methods? I have not as yet witnessed any judging so fairly new to the show circles

Post subject: Re: Judging
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:55 pm 

I guess it depends on the individual judge how they go about or approach the appointment.
Some do judge using the pointscore listed in the breed standard, of these there are 2 types, what I call a "destructive" judge and a "constructive" judge. The former starts with a perfect score of 100 and then looks for "faults" the later begins with "zero" and builds a profile of the birds strengths and desirable characteristics, both arrive at a score out of 100 but one is a fault judge tearing the fowl down where the other builds up the profile of good qualities. Of the 2 the fault judge can only tell you what is wrong with the bird the other can tell you what is good/desirable and what needs attention in the future.
Some other judges often do a comparison of one bird against another keeping in thier minds eye an impression of perfection as described in the standard and arrive at a decision as to which fowls compares closest to the ideal.
Every judge comes from a position of experience, a long and deep knowledge of the specific breeds and varieties, it is an exhausting experience to concentrate all day handling and assessing at times upwards of a couple of hundred fowls, giving each one consideration , then deciding which of the varieties is the "Best of Breed" then to compare the BoB winners for a Championship Award.Then at times they have to confer with the other judges to arrive at "Special" awards and trophies.
Each decision is made with care and careful consideration if he/she is conciencous and doing the job impartially and to the best of the knowledge and ability.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 am 

More I have seen judge via comparison on the day especially for the top prizes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 am 

A great help thanks, I will be watching the judging in a few weeks some it will be interesting to see them in action

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 am 

I think anyone wanting to show fowl should at least once watch judging in action to get a better understanding of what actually takes place and how each fowl is judges and compared

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:27 am 

I agree with you Poultrycenter it is always good to be informed of the processes of why/how certain outcomes eventuate.
We all think our fowls are good and it is not until we see them benched alongside others of the same breed or variety and have the benifit of an impartial opinion can we see thier shortcomings and strengths.
The old time term for this was "kennel blind", meaning we think we have the best and can't see at times the true reality of the situation.
A serious person/breeder who wants to learn and better thier breeding endevours will him/her self judge the classes and make thier own comparisons of what is wrong with thier own fowls, which others are better and more importantly for thier own knowledge and improvements in a breeding programme, WHY !!!
Once you recognise the shortcomings of your own and the qualities of your competion you are well on your way to being a better breeder for the future and more objective in all your observations of your own and others fowls.
A show is not just for the winning of ribbons and trophies it always should be approached as a learning opportunity and an occasion when you can learn more about your chosen breed, breeds or varieties.
None of us are ever to old to learn, once you think you know it all you are no longer objective and begin to stagnate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:49 pm 

Good post, I totally agree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:26 am 

Well not long now and I will see how it is done really looking forward to it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:27 am 

Seems not all clubs are happy to allow the public to watch and listen to the act of judging my club said no

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am 

I agree Nealsons it is a pity it can't always be open judging for the benifit of all involved.
I understand the reasons why at times it is not practical or possible.
Some pavilions just do not have the room for a viewing public to be present, the judge must be allowed to do his /her job unhindered, to move back and forth freely uninterupted to maintain concentration thus enabling them to do the best job possible.
Some clubs have overcome this by "ropeing off" the judging aisle.
It does also slow judging if you have a big entry to talk and make comment as you go, it also breaks concentration distracting you from your thought processes in doing the job to hand.
We have all heard the expression "empty vessels make the most noise".
By far the most common reason is the vocal and abusive comments made by a viewing gallery on a decision that goes against them and they disagree with.
They have the advantage of knowing the owners of all/most fowls in a class and I have been subject to and witnessed these vocal displays of poor sportsmanship.
The judge has had the opportunity to remove and handle each exhibit and assess it fully, the viewing gallery has not and is only making a visual appraisal from outside the pen.
I well remember my first judging appointment in 1967 where I passed over a black OEG bantam that had been Ch blk OEG at the Royal that year.I had the owner standing just to my rear and to the side making very loud and astonished remarks about my abilities, he had put on a special trophy and got his name in the schedule as a substancial donor, intending to win the trophy himself.
I even had my steward a very experienced long time breeder and judge cautioning me in passing this fowl.
What I had found had been completely overlooked by the breeder, the steward and the Royal Show judge, she was duck heeled and unable to stand and move correctly.
As a game fowl I likened it to a boxer crippled in the feet, unable to move and fight thus doomed to defiet.
These are the reasons and situations that have inspired some clubs to have closed judging, a decision bourne of experiences of the past.
It is a pity that some exhibitors have crueled it for the rest but to close judging at times is the only way to avoid this situation.
The only other alternative is to expel an offender but this needlessly ends up in confrontation and agrivates an already uncomfortable situation for all concerned.