AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Best Judges
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:20 am 

Interesting view ancient not sure I agree that Royals are conformation of the best judges I think its more what the exhibitors feel is a good judge and as I read herberts question asked to exhibitors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 am 
­
­

Thats how I read it also

Raf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:24 pm 

Would be interesting to see an Australian list but then I believe there is no national body in poultry conf665

LooLoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:33 pm 

Just to respond to Burley about the Royal Show Judges, in the opinion of those choosing the judges, they seem to be the best that they can attract at the time.
There are those exhibitors who follow judges who are kind to their lines at shows and if they find a judge who isn't so kind then they often won't show under that judge again.
I find the majority of dedicated judges are honest people doing the job to the best of their ability and obviously some have better ability and the capacity to absorb more knowledge than others. This trait of course is in all fields of life.
I guess to answer, "Who are the best judges?" is matter of personal opinion.

With respect to a national poultry body in Australia, there is one however they are very low key and not terribly active.

With respect to a list of all judges within Australia, there has been an annual list, in the form of a large book, done for over 20 years by NEEPA (New England Exhibition Poultry Association) which is produced and edited by Chris Hardman from Armidale NSW. The NEEPA book also lists breeders Australia wide, but the contents are only dependant on the information sent back to Chris by the various state poultry bodies and poultry clubs throughout Australia. It is an excellent publication and they often have a merchandise stand at both Sydney Royal and Poultry 2000 series Shows in the ACT. They also produce a magazine called Chicken Chat.

The Feathers Clubs Association of Qld has an excellent booklet specifically for Judges & Stewards available at about $9.00 posted and its a worthwhile purchase for anyone who wants good insights to judging ideals. Check at http://www.qldpoultry.com.au

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:59 pm 

There are 2 judges I avoid as they are hopeless I think have no idea on quality

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:02 am 
­
­

Fair enough ;)

Raf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:16 pm 

redredhen wrote:
There are 2 judges I avoid as they are hopeless I think have no idea on quality

What state?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:04 pm 

Which judge to nominate, hmmm,. The only way I think a person can nominate a judge is from personal experience of seeing in person how the judge judges. Herbert you say you have only been to a few shows .My suggestion is when you go to shows take note of how the judge handles the birds and walk around after judging and see if you can see consistency in his/her judging. A good honest judge will be prepared to discuss with any exhibitor after the show why they placed or did not place a bird with valid reasons. I think a good all rounder that has knowledge of all types, Hardfeather, Softfeather, waterfowl and has judged all three is good for club shows, especially when there is a judge for each type. This is because when it comes to Bird of show by having some knowledge of all they can pick up good points/ faults on a bird out the front that they didn’t judge and offer reasons why this bird should win or that one.

If you go to a show and you walk away from that show after you didn’t win bird of show but can see that the bird was a worthy winner then you would probably recommend that judge If you look at the winning bird and it has faults that jump out at you, or it looks like there was no consistency in his judging then I don’t think you would recommend that judge, or if a judge when asked about a bird is evasive in his answers.

Also offer to steward, by stewarding you can learn a lot about a judge. A good judge will often talk about the birds while judging and make comments like “I like this bird because...or damn it’s got a crooked toe, or bugger broken feathers, or shame that the lacing quite not right”

Nominate a judge that you have personally seen in action. Then you could back up your nomination with I liked this judge as he /she seemed pretty knowledgeable when I saw them judge and overall comments on the day was yep good day good judging.Depending on how nominations are received.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 am 
­
­

i_like1
Good info Amanda, good idea with the stewarding

Raf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:57 pm 

Is there a good waterfowl judge in NSW? I am yet to find one