AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disease at poultry shows?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:07 pm 

It is normal practice at the club auctions that I attend during the year and have run in the past. Obviously I cant speak for privately organized auctions nor what common practice is in other states but it should be the normal practice adhered to by one group that runs a poultry sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 pm 
­
­

It should be [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Raf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 am 

TP Member: Yes
The worst one is respiratory issues seen in some that was a problem for awhile but does seemed to have improved

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Rooster wrote:
I have been to a fair number of club auctions over the years, and as a matter of course club officials and committee members normally go around the pavilion and check out all the birds to see if any are looking seedy or unhealthy. Any bird that may be cause for concern is removed after a quiet word with the owner.

a larger number of Club run sales/auctions are now monitoring for potential illnesses as they cannot afford to have sickness running rampant = giving them a bad name and damaging future events

I have seen sick birds at some sales/auctions over the years but the incidence of owners (I refuse to say breeders) trying to pawn off sick birds this way is declining

some Clubs state clearly that you enter your birds in a sale/auction with the full agreement (by entering the birds) that if the committee thinks a bird is sick they have the right to remove and if needed destroy the bird

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 pm 

Went to an auction.... A young Polish rooster went for 210 $$$$$ he looked pretty sick to me :roll: . I brought home 4 hens from that auction.... Most were good quality and healthy though :roll:

Soon to become breeder of Lavender Pekins and multi-coloured Silkies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 pm 

soozorps wrote:
I have seen sick birds at some sales/auctions over the years but the incidence of owners (I refuse to say breeders) trying to pawn off sick birds this way is declining

some Clubs state clearly that you enter your birds in a sale/auction with the full agreement (by entering the birds) that if the committee thinks a bird is sick they have the right to remove and if needed destroy the bird

You have got to be kidding me surely, committee members can decide that a bird needs to be destroyed, in what manner will it be destroyed and by whom, hopefully the committee members brave enough to make that call have plenty of money and will be ready for the law suits that will follow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:29 am 
­
­

I agree they can't kill your bird they would need your permission

Raf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:56 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Rooster wrote:
soozorps wrote:

You have got to be kidding me surely, committee members can decide that a bird needs to be destroyed, in what manner will it be destroyed and by whom, hopefully the committee members brave enough to make that call have plenty of money and will be ready for the law suits that will follow.

by entering your birds you agree to their terms and conditions = if you choose not to read (or find out about) their terms and conditions that is too bad as 'ignorance' is no defence these days

I have never seen anyone destroy a bird taken out of a pen claiming it to be sick but I have seen committee members ask the owner to remove the bird from the premises immediately

personally I dont think any person involved in running a sale or auction would dare do anything other than ask the owner to remove the bird

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:35 pm 

With soozorps on this one after reading. If a person brings to a show or sale/auction a sick fowl then I feel they should forfeit that fowl and its put down asap. Its not just a risk to the other fowls there but the humans also who can carry the disease home and spread it. If this was the policy I bet you would see NO sick fowl at these sales/auctions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

JWK wrote:
With soozorps on this one after reading. If a person brings to a show or sale/auction a sick fowl then I feel they should forfeit that fowl and its put down asap. Its not just a risk to the other fowls there but the humans also who can carry the disease home and spread it. If this was the policy I bet you would see NO sick fowl at these sales/auctions

Interesting but what do you do when you have an Indian Game with bubbly eyes, do you remove it from the pavilion, do you put it down and whos opinion is going to be correct. I have seen perfectly healthy Indians who just under stress on the day exhibit these symptoms. Now tell me who's "expert opinion will you take" as to what is actually wrong with the bird ? and the excuse better to be safe than sorry does not wash. When I ran shows and sales I have in the past ordered birds from the pavilion if the bird was infested or in my opinion obviously ill. This example may be a little extreme but a number of years ago there was an instance where a bird won its class and then when the Judges went around the pavilion again to select the champions this bird was dead in its pen, my question to you JWK is what do you do then ??? Remember the Judge has handled that bird and has handled nearly every bird within that class and others if he or she had to Judge more than one class, so do you presume illness and kill them all in case these birds handled by the Judge now carry some disease home or was is nothing more than a simple heart attack which by the way poultry can suffer from.

soozorps wrote:
personally I dont think any person involved in running a sale or auction would dare do anything other than ask the owner to remove the bird

Personally I have to agree with soozorps on that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next