AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: show standards
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:43 pm 
­
­

There is the 'limited edition' on the order form and also from what I have been told if you order the new std now you should get it around March/April 2012 :shock: not sure why the further long delay?

Raf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:09 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

^ NO comment re the amount of time this has taken as it has been covered well in other posts - I am just glad it is almost here

comment before we see edition 3 = just a damn shame it will be in force for abt 15yrs = THAT is a bit backward I think - advances in that time will make edition 3 near on to impossible to put together in under 5years equalling 20yrs before we see edition 3 = sigh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:57 am 

Yes seem very odd the gap between editions and you would think if it were done say every 5-10 years it would be less work and not to mention up to date

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm 

Why cant they do it every year and just charge more if that costs more

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Holland or Denmark = cant remember which atm = they have their standards in a ring binder style of book = each year Breeders can submit for colours and new breeds to be included - once the application is assessed the page or pages for that colour/breed is sent (for the appropriate printing handling and postage etc fees) to every person that has a copy of their standard

# note that they insist on detailed and provable/verifiable stud records (that include pictures of the development as well as the written records) from the Breeder who has been developing these colours going back at least 10 years to confirm and establish the work involved and to prove that the colour/breed in question have been breeding true for at least the last 4 generations before the submission was made

and it has to be submitted via the actual Developer/Breeder = NOT just some random 'person' turning up one day and saying "Oh look what I have, can it be registered as a new 'whatever' " = without all the records there is no chance of any colour/breed being assessed = stopping all the cross bred mongrels that would never breed true from getting a look in until the work is done

this system works very well and keeps everyone there on their toes regards record keeping too

I heard a discussion recently about an overseas country (but missed the country name) that has every conceivable colour listed at the front of their standard and noted that every breed listed in it can have these colours = this I believe is mainly to save confusion as to colour names between the breeds = example = here in OZ Modern Game is Pile where a Pekin Bantam of same colour is Splash (think I got that right = pls correct me re these names here if it is wrong)

I would like a system like this/these here - but quite a few of the older breeders tend to be stick-in-the-muds regards the future of poultry and some wont discuss any colours other than the original ones bred over 100 years ago now – even though many newer colours ARE in the APS = it is almost like the APS doesn’t exist for them !!

In that regard I am VERY happy to be involved with Orpingtons as this Club and its members quite happily discuss all the new colours coming thru = there is even a Developmental Section in the Clubs National Show to cater for these :-D [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif] and there is a very nice perpetual trophy on offer for the Best Overall Developmental of Show [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:52 pm 

That is so good info soozorps I like the idea of the binder and up date each year or 2 really good idea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:45 am 

I also like the idea of the binder would make it cost affective for everyone also providing proof of a new colour is very important so providing evidence beyond a doubt is a must and 10 years is also a good time frame of proof. A good example of an incomplete colour is mille fleur pekins that in my opinion have not arrived at the true colour yet well not any I have seen so they should be excluded until they do and proper records shown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

10 years proof would certainly weed out those that take shortcuts - but any long time breeder knows it takes all those generations of development then 4 generations of breeding true before you can say "Yep, I've finally done it"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:52 am 

Exactly right there are no short cuts or you end up with shortcomings like the mille fleur pekins

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:59 am 

I agree with the more frequent updates of the standard far too long between editions and I am not sure its going to be worth the wait time will tell on that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next