AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: I would like to take up showing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 pm 

I would like to take up showing a few of my belgain bantams and would like some advice on show preparation
What do I need to take with me? Anything important to remember? Any major does and don'ts? At 17 would I be showing as a junior?

Post subject: Re: I would like to take up showing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am 

Hi Youngster,
welcomtogroup.gif
Sorry mate but is an affliction for life, once it gets into your blood you are hooked for life.
It will depend on what variety you have the different preparation you will need but they are all pretty similar and there are some basics that apply to any or every breed.
Preparation starts long before a show in the mating/hatching/rearing, get these right and you are well on your way.
Decide some time in advance where you are going to show.Get a copy of the schedule and mark it with what you want to show, select a small team of your best , no point in entering everything, better to enter a few to start and do it right than enter a heap and only half prepare them and be disappointed in the results.
Approach the day or week-end as a fun experience where you will learn and interact with others that share your interest, listen a lot and say say little, you will be surprised how much you will learn and how helpful the experienced exhibitors will be.
Enter early to avoid the entry filling and being unable to get yours in, keep a copy of what you have entered, makes life easier to know specifically what you have to prepare and the Show Sec will appreciate you being prepared knowing exactly what goes where, also a help if your entry has gone astray and they need to make last minute changes to fit you in.Most if not all shows are entered in duplicate, one copy is returned to you when you arrive with pen numbers included and the other kept by the Sec to pen you out at the end of the show.
No entry at penning time will be accepted with lice, scally leg or any respitatory or infectious disease, so all birds need to be checked for these and in good health.
They will need to be in good condition but not over fat, clean and feather in good condition, not broken or in a moult etc.
Feather legged varieties will need to have the foot feather in good condition, keeping them on clean bedding or sand will help, a wash with warm soapy water and soft toothbrush (rinse well) a couple of days before might be needed if they are dirty, nails will also need to be trimmed if long on mature birds and kept on soft ground or deep litter.
Light coloured or white fowls will benifit from being out of the harsh direct sun which can bleach and yellow the colour.
Legs generally will need to be washed with a soft cloth and soapy water even gently with a soft toothbrush again to remove dirt from between the leg scales, combs need to be cleaned in a similar manner.
On the day of the show a soft woolen cloth in a jar with some light oil is handy to wipe the legs and comb, removes dust and just gives them a healthy glow, applied as you take each bird to place it in the showpen.Likewise a piece of silk (silk scarf)or milenase(old petty coat if mum still wears them, she will know what it is) handy to carry to smooth the feathers (grooms them) and removes any dust, shines and polishes the feather lifting the shine and lustre of the feather.
Pullets or hens on point of lay give a lovely healthy glow, if in full lay can appear loose and baggy in the rear end , some breeds this is not a good look (even penalised) but with others deepens the body and is of benifit.
Hope this helps and most importantly enjoy the experience and day out.
Good Luck.
Be gracious in winning and losing, you will win a lot of new friends if you do, win or lose if you have enjoyed the experience you have had a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:08 am 

Thanks for that you should write a how to show book so good on the details you answered about 10 more questions i had

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:14 am 

Hi Youngster,
Thanks for your response.
I guess I have been doing it since I was about 5yo, my Dad showed and still does so it was just something I grew up with.
Hope it helps and you get as much satisfaction from it as I still do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:20 pm 

It helped me big time, looks like I am taking it up late in life compared to you, thanks again I appreciate it.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, nathanael bantams, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679656 guests