AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 2010 Nat Orp Show thoughts and impressions [of this person]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:50 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Well !!!! WHAT a show the 2010 Orp National has turned out to be !!!! All appeared to enjoy the day and many expressed they were overall impressed with the birds benched.

Moruya Club was prepared well for our arrival and the committee and ladies welcomed us like long lost family making the experience enjoyable. So thank you to the Moruya Poultry Club for going to such an effort and looking after us all so well. I particularly want to thank the lovely lady that made the Lattice biscuit treats as I am a soft touch for this delicacy.

The only ‘down side’ to the show = a very small few [including Moruya Club members and myself] commented the doors needed to be larger for our standard fowl and the Club members listened and it was stated the issue would be addressed as soon as possible. Few Clubs would appreciate such comments - but this Club readily agreed something needed to be done. Hats off to all from Moruya :-D

The area is a pretty one with much to occupy those who wanted to take a look around. The accommodation was excellent. The Bowling Club put on a good spread for our Saturday night dinner with all who attended enjoying a pleasant evening together chatting on many and varied subjects.

Now, let me apologise here for the state of the bulk of my birds. Dallas and I shared many ‘moments’ :roll: :shock: :-? :shock: regards the dramas of them even turning up.
The first washed was a White cock bird, washed rinsed conditioned rinsed wrapped in a towel, placed on table to dry, opened towel to have my youngest say “Mum why is the bird purple?” :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :shock: well the bulk of it washed out - - - - the next 2 Whites washed well but number 3 decided she did NOT want to be dried and took a flying leap across the table to escape. I caught her by the leg only to have her momentum swing her around over the edge, her head hitting the table leg killing her instantly = she became dinner. THEN I turned the water on to wash the last White, turning back to see his left side on fire :shock: :roll: [smilie=a_doh.gif] - he had leant against the heater and gone up in flames [smilie=a_doh.gif] – buy this time I had lost the plot and rang Hon Sec Dallas to inform him not one more bird was being cleaned that all the rest would be exhibited dirty.
Thank you to all for your understanding, on the day many asked – “Sue didn’t you get time to wash your birds? Are you managing?”
Yes rest assured I normally DO manage, but not the week leading up to the show [shaking head laughing in an ironic way]

Now to the exhibits themselves:-

Such a display of Blacks was so inspiring and if numbers is anything to go by = it is fast becoming more popular than the Buff. The Blacks displayed well the improvement in standard over the last few years and all the Breeders/Owners should feel pride at how much this colour has leapt forward. I spoke with Ken Bergin [a fountain of knowledge and a delight to listen to] regards this section and he candidly answered questions. When I commented on how difficult it must have been to deal with such a large section he told how he judged in lots of 10 choosing the best from them then going back over those chosen to select the place getters and then overall winners of the major prizes. A wonderful memory obtained by listening and learning from this gentle well spoken man.

I agree there is of course still work to do with the Whites but it was good to see so many benched. With 2 in particular standing out. One catching Dallas’ eye as well. I am pleased that I chose to take some Whites as I was not sure I was ‘getting it right’ with them but after this show I believe I am on the right track :-D . The numbers of Breeders is now increasing in this colour. With its pleasing popularity; one is expecting many more to be benched at the next show.

The Blue were also of a high standard but I have to admit I would have chosen Champ and Res in the opposite to Ken :oops: :-D but each does perceive things differently. I may be imagining it but the Blues appear to be even larger over-all than previous years with the colour improving at an even faster rate. I wanted to stand and stare for hours but as with all = other duties called.

Buffs were a mixed collection with a few exhibiting what I refer to as ‘racing birds’ [with NO offence meant here at all] and ‘froofy’ birds, I personally like the heavily saddled froofy but discussions/submissions by all Buff Breeders on the subject will decide which way they go forward. The variety in depth of colour always amazes me - and being a new [12mths] Buff owner I am always looking for any and all information regards them [emails welcome :-D ] but regardless of my newbie to Buff opinions, I enjoyed seeing these birds.

The Splash as always was a small section, with the quality being a mixed basket [also as always]. But I am hopeful the next show has a large Splash section being one of my favourites.

The Cuckoo section was arguably the largest ever seen at National level, with a small selection of the colours now in them on display. The bird chosen as over-all best Cuckoo was indeed the best there [much to this breeders delight]. Interestingly a near pure Cook bird [and not really to modern show std] took out Res Champ [giving this owner/breeder a real buzz] I honestly thought that my precious Dumpling would not place being the original size/type of the Cuckoo.
At this point I call to ALL Cuckoo owners to exhibit as many of their birds as possible to ensure the numbers stay right up there.

The debut of the Crele [now at 9th generation] was well received by most, some not sure if they like them [fair enough]. These new to Australia colours were exhibited in Gold - Silver and Blue on the day with no surprise as to which would take Champ, but for the Blue Crele pullet to take Res Champ was a ‘buzz’. A number of these birds are being transported to a breeder in NSW and there will soon be young ready for potential new breeders in this wonderfully colourful addition to the OZ Orps

I can not really comment on the Bantams as I am very new to owning them and am only at F2 in Cuckoo in these diminutive darlings. However I would like to say – congratulations to Dallas on winning Best Bantam Developmental – Dallas you are setting the bar very high my friend :-D Also may I say that in my opinion the bantams overall were a sight to behold with all wonderfully prepared and exhibited. The standard was high as always and the colours across the board were good.
Once [a few years ago] the comment was made that our Bantams should not look like Pekins without feathered feet = they really don’t so we don’t need to worry about that previous comment.

At this point I want to mention Mr Robert Hunt who is in my opinion a judge of future worth to our chosen breed and Club. Being an all breeds judge he knows his colours and many new colours are now starting to emerge in Orps – we need people such as this who have an intense interest in Orps and are prepared to advance their knowledge of the breed to such a level that they will become known as leading Orpington Judges across this country. Robert was seen to approach a number of breeders to discuss various aspects of the breed/colour. This is something valued and appreciated.
Mr Robert Hunt = remember that name.

So at the end of the day I can only say, thank you to all who exhibited birds, thank you to everyone for being like a large family and helping and supporting everyone else there.
We ARE the Orpington Family and I hope it always stays this way :-D
Thank you everyone and looking forward to seeing you all at the next Show
Cheers
Sue

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2010 Nat Orp Show thoughts and impressions [of this person]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:25 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Thanks Sue , Really good read , sound's like a great weekend . A good solid meal is really important before any show and roast chicken helps keep you going through the show . I'm really hearing you about the pen doors ... between cut hands and broken wing feathers I am over it , If it was me breaking the feathers I would accept it , But when the judges are roughing them up shoving them back through small doors it gets a bit frustrating , good to hear that the Moruya Club took it on board . If I ever get down south I'll come to a show just to check out your Orps . Well Done , Ian .
PS What is the point of a Bantam Orp :mrgreen:
Sorry couldn't help myself sidesplit.gif [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]
Big n Beautiful thats the Orps I know ............. wave.gif

Post subject: Re: 2010 Nat Orp Show thoughts and impressions [of this person]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

bunyanuternie wrote:
PS What is the point of a Bantam Orp :mrgreen:

:-D :-D sidesplit.gif :-D :-D coz they is cute :-D :-D :-D :-D
'notice the grammar mistake? deliberate of course :lol:
and YEP was a good weekend [excluding the meds and the sugar high = [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif] ] - only down side - i took my hand held size of a credit card camera to take closeups - it slipped off the seat at one of the servos I stopped at on the way home - was found by attendant later but had been run over = all pics lost [smilie=a_doh.gif] = birds and scenery = devastated :!:

Profile E-mail