AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cards and Trophys for poultry shows
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:45 am 

I forgot to say the cards are a good idea as you can read who in breeder is and can then go and find them to ask questions.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:21 am 

I am disappointed to read some clubs have already stopped giving out trophies considering members pay for a membership to the clubs. My son will start showing next year also I would hope that if he is lucky enough win in the junior section he would receive a trophy for all his efforts and time he has spend studying up on the art of exhibiting. We are losing too many of the old fashioned practices and there is no need for it.

To clubs I say keep to the basics and keep your members

Cards and trophies should stay

Cowen Family

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:20 am 

wen you have worked out how to post the poll put me down 4 sevral YES'es havent showen poultry for a few yrs an even then no big shows but have with success showen horses cattle pigs N oh yeah at least 8 times a yr my tattoo's with heaps of sucess an guess wot with out the TROPHY's i wouldn't as if / when i win ,it shows my ink was best on the day an my tattooist dun better work than the others { for a yr after each win whats won sits on her prize shelf in her shop } then joins all the others at home ;;;;;;;;;;;; in plain words yes YES recanition for success on the DAY for all to see is a must { :oops: sorry got on my high horse } cheers n beers gary

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:43 pm 

I agree trophies and place cards are important as recognition of the win and as someone already wrote the effort for entering in the first place but also for actually breeding it

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:47 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Thanks for reinforcing what I thought folks , a_bravo.gif Will definately passing on to the "Commitee" my thoughts as well as all of yours .
I think it is just another way to encourage newcomers to the fancy with a nice card or if you really work hard a beautiful Gold Trophy .
It is great fun going to the shows and part of that fun is reading all the cards .
Sometimes if I'm to busy I don't even exhibit and just go for a look ,I actually go down the aisles and jot down who won what for the forums :oops: :oops: How can I do that without cards :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:53 pm 

Thats right we need more new people to join our clubs so they can continue into the future and the fact is we all like to win atleast one trophy in our lives, well put bunyanuternie.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:58 pm 

Oh and I love looking at the cards too it’s interesting to see if the same names come up time and time again. I would like to see the points scored shown on the cards to see if a particular part of the fowl was strongest over the other it was against. I talk to the judges on the odd occasion and they usually points out a particular feature that caught his eye like stance or type, sorry digressing off the topic a little

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:43 pm 

GG Member: Yes
The yes's have my vote.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:02 pm 

If I won prize money I'd only spend it on smokes so just a trophy would be better for me health. Cards are just the std thing and to stop that woud be bazar like my world. I vote yes to trophy and cards

HBG

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm 

the topic of trophies is one I have thought about, and had lots of discussions with friends about......I firmly believe in trophies even though they are dust collectors, but then again, a nice glass bowl or wine glasses would be equally as nice, I have enjoyed using such trophies in previous pursuits..... I would be aghast if cards were not given out (and to say that, they have to be given out at the show...save the postage stamp)...it's great to see who won what....it's a small momento for those who are new, or juniors, or have received a card at a BIG show.....

I understand why some folk would like money or grain as the prize....that is why the card is even more important (and the sash for the big wins).....I have actually started a little photo album this year....I take a pic of the bird in it's show pen if it has won BIG (with the sash on the pen front)....the pic then goes in the photo album with the place cards in the photo slot underneath.....

as a family momento, trophies are so important......I have one from my grandmother who was a super cook at the Ag shows :-D

today I was at the local dump...to my horror, there was a box of trophies that were from various poultry shows (engraved with the year and all....how sad) :shock:

BTW, a local ag show here puts up a small sign at the beginning of the show for variouys poultry breeds,their origins etc...just a line or 2 especially for the lesser known breeds...the public love it a_bravo.gif

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next