AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cards and Trophys for poultry shows
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Oh no I hope you rescued them :-?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:05 am 

a show wouldn't be a show with out the cards and trophy's

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:52 pm 

I think you'll find alot of the older members of clubs are the ones puting a holt on trophies at most club shows.

trophies such as cooking goods and so forth are alright for ag shows and for some awards at club shows but nothing beats a nice uniq trophy especially if it is in the name of or rememberance of a exhibitor from the clubs past. You'll find m ost of the loder exhibitors have won tones of trophies in the past and being on the pension or a limited wage would rather money or feed as a suppliment instead. The biggest thing clubs are losing these days are perpetual sheilds and honour boards. A lot of older members believe they are just a hastle, really all it is. Is that as they get older they get more lazer and lose the passion they once had. If you want to make a difference and keep your clubs remembabila then I suggest get of your but and take up a role on your clubs commity,enchourage youth to fill and take up positions in the club. When you go to a show always buy raffel tickets and eat the food provided by the club in question because this is how they raise funds to finance trophies sashes ans so forth.

If any one wants to see how a club can be turned around then get to the ipswich showgrounds july 18th and see the qld pit game club elected a new young committee and the direction it is heading cash prizes, bags of feed, perpetual sheilds and some of the most unique sashes, trophies and raffel prizes that exhibitors haven't seen in quite a while if you have pits you'll want to get there....it's gonna rock!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:47 pm 

Too right you can't beat a trophy for any win and as mentioned trophies are 9 times out of 10 etched with the show details so that in years to come you can show other what and where you won

Yes to trophies
Yes to Rosettes
Yes to ribbons
Yes to placing cards

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:38 pm 

I have never shown poultry (or anything else for that matter) but I wonder if cost is a factor. How much do trophies cost and can clubs afford it? I agree that winners should have some sort of memento like a card or a rosette though. I am assuming that these would be cheaper options than trophies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:44 pm 

I have never shown poultry either but I would totally expect a trophy or ribbon for my trouble

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:07 pm 

As a poultry breeder & shower, I have kept all my cards & ribbens from over the years but donated all the Trophies i had won to a poultry club.

Some people will never breed or show a grand champion so they will not have anything to show that they have gotten a smaller win.

I also think that Junior and just starting out exhibitors get a great sense of accomplishment from being able to show their cards/ribbons off to friends, etc.

In all the years I have shown I have only ever won grand champion once but I have gotten innumerable firsts, seconds, thirds, champions, etc. I still love going through my cards and bringing back the memories.

This is only my opinion though and everyone is entitled to a different one. [smilie=18_13_1.gif] [smilie=18_13_1.gif]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Thanks everyone for the great input ,I try to help my club wherever I can I shovel sawdust for the show ,I clean out pens ,I spent hours repairing in an aging pavilion,I have bought more raffle tickets than the average gambler , I always eat there beautifull food , I have spent hours on the computer doing advertising and every time I meet a new chookperson I encourage them to join our club to bring in new blood , I started the Thread because I want to get a feel for what other people think , Our annual club show is this sunday and there won't be cards and the prizes will be an assortment of stuff from a garden hose to a fishtank . I know that it will still be great show , and I will make sure I talk to as many people as I can , and have as much fun as I can , and I don't want to sound negative ...
Last year at one show up here we were awarded Champion Australorp , Champion Large fowl of show , and Champion Large softfeather breeding pair , and recieved no cards for any of the above ,for CLS we got a bag of 3 grain that lasted 1 feed out :mrgreen:
I think the input here has been great and I will be taking it all to our next meeting we want to encourage newcomers ... for the record I even spoke to the club last year about a donation from where I work (A very large organisation) to provide trophys and about myself writing the cards (I am also a lodge secretary for the CFMEU) and very handy with a pen .. I go to more shows as a spectator/reporter than an exhibitor so it's not about me but about the fancy thinkerg.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 am 

I have been reading this with great interest as I think it’s a topic most avoid. I firmly believe it’s most important for our junior club members to receive trophies and sashes for any win they have. I also think the 1st 2nd 3rd cards on the cages are equally important for both the exhibitors and the public

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:15 pm 

This is such a good topic Ian and such good replies too. I think many clubs could benefit from reading this topic. This forum continues the tradition with magnificent Trophy’s and Rosettes for the online poultry shows

I hope tradition continues with club Trophy's and Cards well into the future

LooLoo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next