AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Showing Ducks. Wing Clipping vs Pinioning.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:40 pm 

Hi all,

this is just a question to all those exhibitors out there.
Will you be penalized for exhibiting a duck (or any poultry for that matter) that is sporting a clipped wing/s?
Is it preferable to have their wings pinioned instead (A mandatory requirement for mallards, I know).
Just curious, as my young Muscovies are exercising their wings, and getting some altitude in their non enclosed area.
I don't want to lose any, but I don't want to clip wings anymore if it will result in penalties for show stock.
Is getting a wing pinioned by a vet a costly affair?

Post subject: Re: Showing Ducks. Wing Clipping vs Pinioning.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:40 pm 

calvin wrote:
Hi all,

this is just a question to all those exhibitors out there.
Will you be penalized for exhibiting a duck (or any poultry for that matter) that is sporting a clipped wing/s?
Is it preferable to have their wings pinioned instead (A mandatory requirement for mallards, I know).
Just curious, as my young Muscovies are exercising their wings, and getting some altitude in their non enclosed area.
I don't want to lose any, but I don't want to clip wings anymore if it will result in penalties for show stock.
Is getting a wing pinioned by a vet a costly affair?

hi calvin,
i dont think you get a mussies wing pinioned , only mallards ,

a clipped wing is not allowed at shows, but i have shown 1 at a ag show and that birds collected a award ;)
it was only a smal ag show

mussie girls when there around the 6 month stage will fly a bit, depends on how heavy thay are , i have all my birds in a open pen, it is a 6 foot fence, but once thay are a littl older thay will not try to fly much at all, how high is your fence ?

jase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 pm 

Hi Jase,

the fence is 6 foot high, and I've had no problems with the drake leaving, but the girls have flown before. One absconded for a week before returning.
I'm pretty sure most birds can have a wing pinioned if neccesary, but not sure if many Muscovy breeders bother with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:37 pm 

Hi Calvin,
I don't show my birds, at the moment they are for meat and eggs, but I find that they can easily get into the air, or at least with the drake, flap and climb up a fence. My drakes can't really get much off ground, but the ducks seems to manage enough to clear a 6 foot fence so I clip. I'm also amazed at how faaaaast the ducklings can move, compared tot he older birds - sometimes the remind me of rats when I see t hem scuttle about.
regards
Russell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:26 am 

clip the wing, until there around the year mark, then thay dont seem to try and fly much ,

jase

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:54 pm 

my mussie girl gets at least 3 foot in the air and flys across the yard but im just going to leave her wings dont like cliping any birds wings
also do you have to pinoned Elizabeth ducks wings?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:33 am 

Hi Stuart,
I don't like clipping birds wings either. But there are dogs on three sides to our place and a major road in front (what's with people and their ph ...n dogs?), and I can't afford to put 6 foot fences all around. My birds like a bit of green pick and a wander, so I like to let them out.
regards
Russell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:06 pm 

yesterday my mussie flew over the neighbours fence and the dog ran over and bite her tail and she took a run with the dog chasing her and flew back over lucky duck she is :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:00 pm 

Very, very, lucky,; lucky lucky lucky.
I have a friend whose bull terrier pup, with the best of intention (if dogs have intentions) tried to help round up three of their chooks, unfortunately only one survived the catch and gently carrying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:10 pm 

I pinion all my waterfowl which is about 50 to 60 all up, I also have a friend that has pinioned swans.