AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Breed standards
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:45 am 

Can anyone (please :P ) tell me where I might get my hands on the breed standards for call and bantam saxony ducks? It would be nice to know if my birds are even close to the standard, and what I should be looking for when I eventually have babies to keep/sell. The local club is no help, nobody at the meeting I went to had even heard of the saxonies. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:23 am 

Australian poultry standards handbook

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:04 pm 

And I can get a copy of that from ... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:07 pm 

hi .
saxony

standards. the saxony has a strong carriage. with a long broad body and absolutely no keel. the body should be long and stocky .with a broad back sloping slighty to the rear. wings are short and held close to the sides. the tail is long. carried full and closed. head is long and flat .the bill is of a average length, but broad. solid neck. legs should be set in the middle of the body. the plumage should be tight,with soft underfeathers. the drakes head and neck should be very blue, with a white ring around the throat. the lower part of the neck ,shoulders and breast should be rusty red,with a hint of silver lacing on the breast. the back and rump are dark blue. wing bars are purple /blue. the tail feathers are fawn or cream.the ducks head,neck and breast should be buff in color, with a white line travelling thrue the eye and a white ring on the neck that doesent meet at the back. the back and breast should be a light buff,wing bars and tail a light blue. wings are cream in color. in both sexes the bills are yellow, with a green shading in the drakes and brown in the ducks . eyes dark brown and legs and webs dark yellow.

weight. drake 4.1 kg . duck 3.6 kg

serious defects.
poor colouring , wing bars colouring. wrong bill color. drakes head the wrong color. ring on neck joins at back. duck too dark in colouring resembling a appleyard.

heres a link for the standard for call ducks
http://www.callducks.net/standards&photos1.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 pm 

thanks for posting that jase, i might show some saxony ducks if i ever get a show quality one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:49 pm 

Tahir wrote:
thanks for posting that jase, i might show some saxony ducks if i ever get a show quality one.

all the best with that mate . i hope you in the future breed some top birds . just look around for some good birds , breed a heap and you should get some nice birds

regards jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:36 pm 

Thanks Jase, that's great! Hard to tell with my saxonies as they're still babies, but I've posted new photos of them ... would anyone care to venture an opinion? The flash washed out their colour unfortunately, and my boy is just starting to get his head colouring, but what about their shape? (The calls are on there too, but poor Mr Wonderful is in eclipse plumage and not the impressive sight he should be :( )

Rebecca

Photos no. 806 and 807

Last edited by elfael on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:45 pm 

hi mate we would love to see youe birds

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679935 guests