AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Can I show fowls I did not breed?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:30 pm 

I am thinking of joining a poultry club to not only learn more about poultry in general but to also show some fowls.

My questions are-------
Can I show fowls I did not breed?
Do I have to wait to breed my own fowls before I can start showing them?
Is there a minimum age of fowl?
Is there a maximum age of fowl?

I would hate to turn up and have finger pointed at me or something

Dean Dark

Post subject: Re: Can I show fowls I did not breed?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 pm 

Yes you can show birds you did not breed.
As far as I know there is no upper limit on age of poultry.
Pullets and cockerels must be 12 months or under.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:28 pm 

In terms of minimum age, as a rule the pullets will generally be about 6 months or close to or laying. The cockerels will be a bit older, they should have all their adult feathers.

I could get a bit more technical, however best to talk and visit an poultry show or club to get the basics right at the start. This will save a lot of heart break and frustration at the start. I find it easier to show "new" poeple examples rather than trying to explain without a good reference point.

Rhode Red

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:46 am 

Quote:
Can I show fowls I did not breed?

I asked this question recently on the Exhibition Poultry Forum and there is definitely some etiquette involved. It is well worth a read as there is some very good advice there.

http://www.exhibitionpoultryforum.com/v ... f=28&t=660

Basically some shows require you to state if you haven't bred the birds, others that you have to have owned for a set length of time before you can show them under your name.

If you are putting birds bred by someone else in the spotlight at a show, it would be best if you checked with the person who bred them if they mind you doing so. It may be the breeder considered them culls and they don't want them shown as it may not do them any favours.

Either way, read the show schedule very carefully as breaking the rules can lead to some heavy stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Sebducks wrote:
As far as I know there is no upper limit on age of poultry.

I showed an Orpington hen in 2009 = she turned 18 years old a few weeks after the show - she was shown as a pullet years ago and I exhibited her this second time in 09 as a couple of breeders wanted to see how well they age - she placed 2nd :-D in a section of 4 birds - she is now 19 and still going strong :-D
she laid 10 eggs in 2009 and her Blue daughter is lovely :-D :-D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 am 

I guess if you purchased the birds the day before then show them under your own name that would probably be considered a little wrong. I think if you purchase what is considered "show quality" birds from anyone they should expect to see their birds in a show at some stage. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:44 pm 

Thank you guys and girls very helpful most of my birds I have had for 9-12 months so I do consider them 100% mine now but would prefer to show my own bred birds but I guess I need to start someware. If I state I didn't breed the bird do they take any points off for that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 pm 

You don't need to state you didn't breed the bird unless you are asked and no there shouldn't be points taken off for that, its purely about the breed you are showing and it conforming to the breed standard. Start off showing in a nice little AG show they are usually much more laid back and friendly and you'll get the feel for things in a less formal but still professional show.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:25 am 

Virtually everyone starts off showing bought birds in any hobby including chooks. I did for the first 18 months and then slowly started showing mine and that is a good feeling. I think the advice above is spot on start with your local Ag shows and work your way up from there

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:16 pm 

Thanks that gives me a little more confidence