AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: food and water for an all day show
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:11 pm 

Do the stewarts give the show stock food and water for an all day show? I know they do for an over night or longer show but what about a day show?

Post subject: Re: food and water for an all day show
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm 

Basically, for an Agricultural show (2+days), water and food supplied. Not sure about 1 day Agriculture shows, my local shows have always been 2 days, guessing they would provide some feed after judging.

Poultry Shows, the Stewards don't feed or water, however water is available, often drinkers are available (I taken my own), but you have to water and feed your own birds.

Rhode Red

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 pm 

Some people can be a bit funny when it comes to stewards watering or feeding their birds. I went to a show once and i was asked to water the birds so i started to and the owner of a couple of birds got a bit stroppy and said his birds only get tank water at shows which he carried in bottles. He said they only get tank water at home so therefore if they were given town water they may not drink it or even get sick on it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:09 am 

Yes Daniel, sometime being a steward, poultry club member or even the club president can have its challanges on show day.

There are some funny things :lol: people do and the way they act at shows. I have seen people have special feeding practices on show day (grapes, saw mince, grass, bread etc.). Water is the same, as you mentioned some people carry their own. We can be a funny bunch ;) , when it comes to looking after our birds. Unfortunately some people just get a bit over the top at times, (I put it down to a bad day and move on).

Rhode Red

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 am 

Our shows have always supplied water for the birds but I have not seen food available to them so I take my own. If you take your own and its not needed then so be it and at least you are prepared. When you get there ask the steward if they would like you to set up your own pen with food and water, honestly last time we did our own pen I think the steward appreciated us setting it up as they were busy with others who had questions etc. We quickly and quietly set up our own pens put in our birds and made sure they were settled then we left and went back after the judging was finished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 am 

Another thing to be careful of when watering and feeding your birds before judging is to make sure you dont leave the water container or any feed in the pen. Some people will view it as a way to identify ones birds. I have seen it happen before when exhibitors will place grass or feed at the back of the pen in the corner or use their own water containers and leave them in the pen.

I use my own containers and give them water as soon as their penned and will remove it 10 minutes later.

I will also give them a bit of bread to make them feel a bit relaxed also.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 am 

When I steward, I remove all the water containers from the pens prior to letting my judge view the section, this also includes any "excess" foods or markers. As a jude nothing worse than having water spilt while trying to remove a bird (especially on a white bird), when it is a bit flightly.

I usually feed (not a lot) and water prior to judging and remove them prior to the start of judging. Once the judging is over for the birds I then feed and water.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 pm 

Ok thats great help, so I can take my own food along and feed them before judging?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 pm 

Yes, like all good athletes, they like a bit of food and water for breakfast. Dont over feed (fill the crop) as this may change the appearence you are looking for (breed dependant) or they may throw-up when being handled by the judge.

It will also help them to settle down after the trip, and get use to the pen (scratching around for food) keeps them active.

If you have travelled overnight or they have been penned overnight all the more reason for some food and water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 am 

So is there some 'special' food I can give to make them show better?