AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who has a hand tame, pet bird?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 am 

I had a cockatoo years ago that talked infact he would never shut up until we covered his cage at night

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:07 am 

We have a male cockatiel named 'Eaglebird', I think his colouring is called white-faced pied. He was gived to us as a wedding present. He is very tame and can talk, he says "Eaglebird, Eaglebird, Eaglebird" (this can go on for five minutes or more) :roll: and he can call the cat "Spike"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:52 pm 

I have heeps of birds not many chooks yet .They include redrump mutations, indian ringnecks,rosellas,eclectus,lutino galah,major mitchells,red tailed and yellow tailed black cockatoos and blue and gold macaws .About 30 aviaries last count and growing ,pheasants will be next.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm 

Well as yet i don't have any handreared FOR myself...I handrear them for OTHER ppl to enjoy...altho when my Blue Quakers breed I want to keep one of those, that or a lutino scaley lorikeet.

I have for me and breeding...Ecelectus, Princess parrots (not normals), Red/black rosellas, Scaley breasted Lorikeets (Mustard, Olive, Lutino, normal and splits), Chattering Lories, Rainbow Lorikeets (split Lutino boy with a cinnamon hen) Hybrid Lorikeet pair just for pet market and then I have the cockatiels..u name it i got i have about 9 pairs of them and currently raising an olive lorikeet bub and 2 whiteface reverse cin pieds (they are all white except for a brown feather in tail)

My Ecelectus boy I handreared and he talks and sighs...heehee so sweet, my lorikeets some I handreared and they talk too...one actually calls the cat dumby sidesplit.gif ...lol but they my breeders now.

I just love birds and chooks and cats and dogs and wellll u get the picture I am sure a_bravo.gif

Speks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:49 pm 

Speks my dream bird would be an Eclectus! I've done loads of research and there is no problem providing the right diet, but Im just a little scared of not being able to provide the attention they seem to need.

Do you think they are the right bird for a childless couple who work all day? Im not sure whether plenty of attention morning, night and weekends is enough for a single (male) bird?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have, or any comments from current Eclectus owners :-D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:50 pm 

Since I am still new on this board and still working out where everything is...when I get my photogallery go ahead I will put some pics up of some of the birds I have handreared INCLUDING my many gorgeous Eckies...

Roova...if you can provide ur bird with enough distractions during the day while u are not there then there is no reason u can't enjoy one...any particular reason for male only...asking as I know of girls I have handreared have turned out better then a couple of boys (which went as breeders NOT pets, as I believe if I have probs with them I refuse to part them onto others, they are then breeders not pets) but it IS a personal preference and it IS the breeding stock they come from and WHO is hand feeding or hand raising them.

But back to eckies as pets...one of the things a few I sold "babies" to were childless couples and they built a room for the bird...I also say have a BOX of toys and only provide some at any given time, that way they don't get tired of all ...all at once. provide treats...u can buy the fruit skewers for birds and put several around of their favourite fruit staying well away from avocado, seed bells as well. if you can get natural STICKS...I mean thicker ones as "branches" do that...and if they chew it, so bit it, rolly things, puzzle types...then when u come home you let them out of room and with you and close off the room so they HAVE to interact with you...some times the bird may decide they rather play in room then with you.

And I say this with ALL pet birds.... remember YOU are in charge NOT the bird, U don't want a spoilt child on ur hands...LOL

Also before close...just so u don't think I am putting males down, I have had females go into the breeding programs too...including cockatiels etc. Sometimes whatever the species, indiviuals just won't tame down. But...Eckies no matter where u get it from be SURE of the person raising them and if local, ask if u can go around and interact with them. My door is always open for new owners of ANY given bird, lorikeet, cockatiel or Eckies.

Hope that Helps

Speks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:28 pm 

that was a wonderful help, thanks for taking the time to type up all that information!

I guess I shouldn't be closed minded when it comes to the sex. Im trying to learn about them via the internet so its the luck of the draw what I read :roll: I had read males were slightly quieter, may have spoken a little better and may not have had the hormone surges the females might have. In saying this I know each bird will have its own funny little personality.

I've got a couple of books but they're only about parrot behaviour (I definitely want an enjoyable happy pet). Ive got "the new parrot training handbook" - Jennifer Hubbard, "Guide to companion parrot behaviour" - Barrons, and the "Guide to a well-behaved parrot" - Barron's . If you have any recommendation's for books or DVD's which give a good insight into living with an Eclectus that would be fantastic!

Can I ask what you like the most about keeping Eclectus?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 pm 

What I like most...well it not a single thing and each bird will have its own quirkiness heehee...my boy Bao...he sighs and laughs EXACTLY as I do and the most charming gurglin noises. Ruby his mate clucks like a chook. But as a pet it is ability to make u laugh if raised properly you can cuddle them tickle their bellies. But alllll of them goes thru the terrible 2's just like a baby does and they can be little hell raisers. If you think u can handle having a child for 30 yrs or more...feed them lots of fresh fruit and veg...a little bit of seed...they love their sprouts...dried fruits can be good too then go for it...I walk past Bao and I might have my head in the seed bin doing the other birds and I will hear...whatchya doin? gotta look up to see who is there, or how ya doin...even.... ohhh give me a hug. I can ask him if he is good...eithers nod or says yes...The list goes on

I have had corellas, had gang gang as a pet growing up (my grandfathers bird) friends had sulfers...but for me PERSONALLY, if u can afford it and want an intelligent quirky bird, and they ARE intelligent, then by all means, go for an ecky. I should point out another reason I guess to go with the male. If you don't want to be bothered with the egg laying thing, egg bound issues, broodiness then the male would be better.

Speks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:30 am 

Thank you, great stories :) I love reading about how well they can speak and how often it's in context.

How cute is Riley the Eclectus on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMx10BUgzEM

This one is cute too..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmodGrclnlM

Its a big committment for sure and Im not going to do anything until Im 100% sure, but your comments have really helped.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:27 pm 

We have four, two handraised (by us) blue princess parrots, one longbilled corella and one galah. The galah we found hit by a car out front of our house, he was just a young one still all grey, he's so sweet now, says Hello Charlie, calls the dog and the kids and clucks like a chook :lol:

The Corella I've had for over 20 years my mother had him given to her by a woman who was moving to an island and couldn't have any pets, the corella who's name is Wacko, didn't like my mother and used to bite her so she gave him to me, he talks heaps, says alot of words and screams SNAKE when he sees one.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next