AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world - New Members Welcome
It is Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Colossal jumbo quail- breeding for size
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:20 am 

This is probably one for our moderator's, when breeding to achieve the weights that you guys have in your quail, in simple terms what stage or stages are the most important. I've read that to only hatch the biggest eggs, then the other day I came across an article saying they only breed from the biggest chicks at 3 weeks of age, and then I watched a clip by Terry on coturnix corner on YouTube drafting off his heaviest quail to use to increase the size in his flock. Is it as easy using one of these selections or a mix of them or is it only possible with specific bloodlines egch6678

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Colossal jumbo quail- breeding for size
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 am 

GG Member: Yes
PeteK wrote:
This is probably one for our moderator's, when breeding to achieve the weights that you guys have in your quail, in simple terms what stage or stages are the most important. I've read that to only hatch the biggest eggs,

From your first pairing, maing sure you choose the biggest and strongest line, diet is key and it starts with your first pairing, HIGH protean, HIGH fat is all.

PeteK wrote:
, and then I watched a clip by Terry on coturnix corner on YouTube drafting off his heaviest quail to use to increase the size in his flock. Is it as easy using one of these selections or a mix of them or is it only possible with specific bloodlines egch6678

Never heard of a "Terry on coturnix corner" If you get hold of true colossal and not mammoth then thats your best start

Post subject: Re: Colossal jumbo quail- breeding for size
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:43 pm 

Thanks Chukar for your reply, I've got our local feed supplier organised to start getting either game bird starter or Turkey starter crumble in for me and will just add some high protein meal to bump it a bit higher. I built a side by side pen to run two sets of breeding flocks a couple of months ago and my incubator arrived today in the mail, now the next step, sourcing some colossal eggs from someone on here, and that's the biggest stumbling block . Cheers, thanks again for your valued guidance Chukar .
than657 Pete.

Profile E-mail