AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Bourbon Red Turkeys in Queensland
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm 

I have Bourbon Red Turkeys originally purchased from a fellow located south of Brisbane, but I am struggling to find other breeders (apart from those I have sold to). I know of a source in Victoria, but surely there must be some breeders a bit closer - I am north of Brisbane. I welcome any turkey breeding advice - I love my birds, but I'd like to get them darker and avoid weakening them by too much in breeding.
Also, how best to mark or tag turkeys? I bought some spiral rings, but they are a bit tight on some toms and only came in 2 colours.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Bourbon Red Turkeys in Queensland
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:47 pm 

Hi there,

I have knowledge of a bourbon red breeder in Nanango and one up near Proston, I will endeavour to find their contacts for you in the next couple of days should I not remember please PM me and remind me hide:

I have lavender toms here at present, and would love to breed more of the same in the future.

I have seen people use zip ties but you need to put a dab of super glue when you get the tie the right size so that it cannot tighten around the leg when left, they come in many sizes and colours these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:43 am 

Thanks Sebducks, appreciated.
Lavender is a very pretty colour, but I get confused about the different shades of grey/blue and their names - the fellow I bought my birds from originally has a line of very pretty "slate" he calls them. If you want to see photos of his birds, I could ask his permission to pass them on.
Good luck finding some lavender hens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:14 am 

Do you have any pictures you can show please I have a mate in boonah that has hundreds of turkeys but no idea what the colours are called but a few look red

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:42 pm 

I will try to post some photos, but in the mean time, there are two types that you might call "red" - Bourbon Red or Buff. Good photos of Australian turkeys can be found at www.deutchersturkeyfarm.com/turkeyvarieties.htm The most obvious differences between the two types is the colour and markings at hatch, the amount of white markings on the adult and the Bourbon Red should be darker (but depth of colour is an issue with mine). Does your mate at Boonah breed the colours seperately? Or do the turkeys just all get together and do what turkeys do?
I'll go work on that photo...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 pm 

I know Daryl Deutscher in Dadswells Bridge Victoria can possibly help he has 1 or 2 nice turkeys http://www.deutschersturkeyfarm.com/ I will find the list I had 7 years ago on some from Qld and Nsw some on that had B Reds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:24 am 

I spoke with Daryl on the 'phone last year and also got a quote for tranport, but but it would cost me hundreds of dollars to get birds from Victoria upto north of Brisbane, and although I haven't ruled that out, I am scared that by paying so much that the darn birds will be tempted to drop dead or take a vow of chastity...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:57 am 

I have 1 pair of bronze turkeys but would love a pair of the bourbons I saw this picture on http://www.arriolasunshinefarm.com/heritage-turkey.html he is a beauty I think

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:59 am 

This picture is great too look how many there are

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:03 pm 

Hidden River Ranch has nice ones too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next