AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: blue breeding surprises - what colour am I?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:09 pm 

Hi,

I would really appreciate some input to identify the colour of the silkies in the (2nd pic titled clutch 2, chick 1) and the (paler chicks in clutch3 pic) please.
The parents are in the first pic posted, father at back and mother front right.

Thanks everyone

Attachment:
rainbow & splash resized.jpg
rainbow & splash resized.jpg [ 67.34 KiB | Viewed 9705 times ]

Attachment:
clutch 2, chick 1.jpg
clutch 2, chick 1.jpg [ 68.85 KiB | Viewed 9696 times ]

Attachment:
clutch 3, mum in middle, all correct comb colour.jpg
clutch 3, mum in middle, all correct comb colour.jpg [ 75.3 KiB | Viewed 9697 times ]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: blue breeding surprises - what colour am I?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:43 pm 

Nice lavender in the second pics
Its rare in the pure silkies congt334

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 pm 

Hi Nelly

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. WOW, a lavender, really? And here I was thinking maybe a dun, it certainly never entered my head that it could be a lavender - You have made my day. Some happy news after a rotten few days spent with the vet trying to save 3 of my pet sheep. Maybe my question should be regarding the colour genetics of the brother/sister parents? I had expected to get blues & blue splashes because of parents colouring but that didn't happen. The grandmother is a dom white carrying blue & mated to black (definate,3rd gen black - not dark blue) produced the parents along with 3 dom whites and a solid dark blue (lost to crooked neck at 8 wks). I no longer have the black roo (he died). I did a brother/sister mating, see (pic1 original post) of 3 separate clutchs and each clutch is different. 1st clutch, 1 solid powder blue (died 4 hrs after hatch), 1 powder blue ,white wings - turned white, and one blue & buff? (strong orange colour). Clutch 2- 1- blue like father, 1- you say is lav, 1- like her but a bluer tone (died at 3 wks), 1- some sort of albino?, eyes normal no colour in beak, legs faint hue, skin pink, hatched completely yellow (no other whites ever have.) All in this clutch had pale pink combs,wattles and the blue and the albino? combs are bright now as they're roo's. The 3rd clutch has 1- blue (could be dark splash as blotchy still), 1- blue splash, and the 3 unidentified colours all have normal coloured wattles,combs. Given nothing has turned out as expected and I'm a total beginner with colour genetics I need help please.

*How can the brother/sister parents be a blue roo and splash hen and produce this variety?
*If hen is lav, will any particular matings reveal if any others in the 3 clutches carry lav?
*If there is and mated to her would the odds of lavender be higher than current 1 in 10, as I have limited space here so can't keep all the roos in these 3 cluches.
The first clutch are both roo's, second clutch 2 roos + lav hen and clutch 3 has a blue roo(maybe dark splash as appears mottled still), blue splash hen, 1 pale coloured hen, 1 probable roo, 1 unsure yet (please be a hen).

I have added some clearer pics of paler chicks for ID, if anyone has ideas.

Attachment:
resize, clutch 3 chicks.jpg
resize, clutch 3 chicks.jpg [ 73.36 KiB | Viewed 9704 times ]

[attachment=1]rs clutch 3 - the darkest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg
[attachment=0]rs clutch 3, lightest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg

Attachments:
rs clutch 3, lightest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg
rs clutch 3, lightest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg [ 78.43 KiB | Viewed 9677 times ]
rs clutch 3 - the darkest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg
rs clutch 3 - the darkest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg [ 73.98 KiB | Viewed 9657 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:12 pm 

I have no idea what the colours are but they are sooooo nice congt334

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:43 am 

Much closer to Dun than Lavender but still a nice strong shade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:50 pm 

Sash wrote:
I have no idea what the colours are but they are sooooo nice congt334

Thank's Sash, I think they are pretty too and they're all total surprises.

Bill wrote:
Much closer to Dun than Lavender but still a nice strong shade

Thank-you Bill, she's a very pretty bird, no matter what she is. Her parents are brother/sister in top pic which are result of dom white mother carrying blue to a 3rd gen black roo (definitely black) so don't know how the splash mum was possible anyway. Both her and her mother have the rattiest wing and tail feathers while all the others have turned out ok including the blue father. Would putting her back to the father result in more? Confused as to how this gene actually works. I know it's connected somehow to the dom wh gene but don't quite understand how it can express from her parents colours, even through brother/sister mating. I am a total beginner and blue genetics rules didn't quite work out with either grandparents or parents mating and results. Any help very much appreciated, please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:28 pm 

I have added these 2 updated pics of clutch 3 pale chicks for ID, thanks.

Attachment:
rs clutch 3 - the darkest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg
rs clutch 3 - the darkest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg [ 73.98 KiB | Viewed 9570 times ]

Attachment:
rs clutch 3, lightest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg
rs clutch 3, lightest of the 3 pale chickens.jpg [ 78.43 KiB | Viewed 9580 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:24 am 

Very nice silkies congt334

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:25 am 

TP Member: Yes
Nice to see some good quality red comb silkies.
Are you looking at showing down the track?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:01 pm 

TP Member: Yes
Good to see the high quality pure silky's you should be very proud