AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: POSTING EGGS WITH GOOD HATCHABILITY
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:56 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

bantmsboy wrote:
How do peafowl eggs go in the post is there any trouble posting them because of their size?

packed correctly it makes no difference the egg size - I have posted both turkey and goose eggs and had a good hatch the other end - have also been some disasters of course :roll: [smilie=a_doh.gif]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:01 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Leema wrote:
So I have been reading through and it had been mentioned about not posting during summer but I wondering how I would go with guinea fowls eggs as they only lay eggs in summer? What are my chances of getting them to hatch?

honestly = hatch rate would be low as the heat during transit more often than not destroys the eggs. Unless you can time the transport to coincide with cooler weather

my suggestion if you really want to take the risk = time it for cooler weather, have them Express Posted and if 4 days cooler are expected give it a go – but don’t expect much

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:21 pm 

I post pekin and silky eggs all over Australia but I do not send them in summer because I have too many issues with un happy customers not hatching eggs so it’s not worth the troubles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:17 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

^^ [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

you are a wise person not to send in the warmer weather

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm 

There is an excellent article, with general application titled 'Why Hatching Failures" on beebepolands.com
Go onto site, scroll down and click on 'The Science of Polands'
Scroll through the articles until you come to the one mentioned above.

I tried once having eggs sent by post but have concluded it's a complete waste of time and money.
Cheers
Polishlady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:58 pm 

I prefer to get eggs though the post rather than introduce birds.

Yes there are failures, but buying in eggs is about getting a new bloodline without bringing in the disease and paracite problems that can come with live birds. Generally I can usually hatch 70% if the eggs have arrived entire. That's compared with 90% hatch for eggs that are not posted.

Last month I had two lots that looked a bit dodgy on arrival and the vendors kindly supplied some more eggs and I ended up with good numbers of chicks. Its worth dealing with reputable sellers and paying a little more for the eggs and good packing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:24 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

andrewschooks wrote:
Its worth dealing with reputable sellers and paying a little more for the eggs and good packing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:19 pm 

Great thread - thanks. I have just hatched my first lot of chicks from posted eggs and was thrilled with the hatch rate (80%). The weather was cool for spring the week the eggs were posted. When I buy my next lot I will keep an eye on the weather before I send them so fingers crossed....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:46 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

80% hatch rate = very good effort :-D th_clap.gif

most (if not all) reputable breeders will not be far off notifying people on their books that eggs are finished for this season -
I know I will be sending out emails within the week advising the few still waiting that they will have to wait until the cooler weather returns (due to the heat AND broodies all over the place!) - will get some narky nasty replies and lose some as they will not want to wait = part and parcel and I will not be upset or fussed by it

it only takes 1 or 2 lots sent thru the heat arriving 'off' for people to come back and ask to be put back on the books

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:19 pm 

Brilliant thread - thanks all :-D I have never been game to buy eggs in the post before (I am a complete novice) but now I think I have the confidence to give it a try (when the weather starts to get cooler of course). I am getting an incubator for Christmas (my hubby is the best) and some new chook houses built so that will give me time to work things out before buying eggs ;)

We don't have a lot of local breeders to buy chooks from and the auctions have had mixed results including introducing some not very nice things to our existing chookies :( We bought a heap of young Silkies a couple of years ago and all had died within 9 months (not all at once) so I have given up on them for a bit. I have some young Dorkings and Aracaunas now so want to give them a go and I was worried about too much inbreeding in the future so I think eggs in the post could be a good way to combat this given our distance away from breeders 52.gif

'All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning' - Albert Camus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next