AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Will peahens mate when not laying?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:14 am 

Hi, just wondering if peahens will mate with the male if they are not laying, or when you see a hen being mated she is going to lay? As my pied hen was mated this morning by my white male...... so I'm really hoping for some eggs, also what is the typical clutch for peahens, can they lay 6-9 eggs, or is this uncommon? Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Will peahens mate when not laying?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:29 pm 

Private Member: Yes
Hens will only let the peacock mate when its the season to breed, so now, yes she should lay eggs soonish but it could be days or weeks depending on how old and how far into season she is. The normal number of eggs is 8-10 for blue and any of its mutations

George

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:38 pm 
­
­

Yes it can take a week or two for eggs to appear but be patient you will get some

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:31 pm 

Fantastic, thanks for the info..... Have set 5 eggs under a clucky chook, so hopefully will get 5 chicks (white)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 pm 
­
­

Good luck with them ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:53 am 

Grrrrrrrr..... the chook managed to smash one of the eggs???? I am really disappointed, one of the other eggs has dried yolk over 1/3 of it, I sprayed that side with a mistifier to mosten and gently wiped it off. Don't know if it will hatch now? As I candled and all four are fertile. I moved the eggs to another hen, just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:59 am 

Why don't you let the peahen be the mother? They are actually really capable and good mothers. Are you trying to get another round of eggs from the peahen is that why you took them and put them under a chicken? My peahens have both been very very caring mothers-even calling to us once when there was a snake around....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51 pm 

I would love that, but because they free range I cannot risk predator attacks, plans for a peacock breeding run fell through after unforseen expenses arose. I am definately going to be ready for next breeding season though, I am sure I have lost alot of eggs that goannas and crows have eaten, when my turkeys nest I can easily move them into a safe place and they will set, but not sure if peahens would do the same? Anyway I will be happy if I get at least a few peachicks this season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:41 am 
­
­

Pea-Goddess wrote:
Why don't you let the peahen be the mother? They are actually really capable and good mothers. Are you trying to get another round of eggs from the peahen is that why you took them and put them under a chicken? My peahens have both been very very caring mothers-even calling to us once when there was a snake around....

Generally that is not the case for free range or in many cases caged peafowl. Peahens are lazy mothers that work on survival of the fittest so they loose many chicks when free range to lots of different predators like, snakes, goannas, crows, hawks, foxes, dogs, cats ect............................ so if you hatch free range then expect most to be lost. The best advice is not to allow a peahen to hatch eggs free range or in a cage if you want good results, its up to you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:52 am 

PeacockNSW wrote:
Pea-Goddess wrote:

Generally that is not the case for free range or in many cases caged peafowl. Peahens are lazy mothers that work on survival of the fittest so they loose many chicks when free range to lots of different predators like, snakes, goannas, crows, hawks, foxes, dogs, cats ect............................ so if you hatch free range then expect most to be lost. The best advice is not to allow a peahen to hatch eggs free range or in a cage if you want good results, its up to you.

That was what I suspected...... You can't go wrong (generally) with clucky hens, I have about 15 silky crosses that I use to hatch all sorts.... Guineas, ducks, turkeys etc and now hopefully peachicks. I was quite suprised that the peahens didn't try to nest somewhere more hidden, just a scrape in the ground with little cover?