AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: POSTING EGGS WITH GOOD HATCHABILITY
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:33 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Hi Karen wave.gif

Karen_H wrote:
Brilliant thread - thanks all :-D yeah between us all it is turning out to be rather awsome isnt it :-D we are all pleased with how well this thread is going with all the ideas in it I have never been game to buy eggs in the post before (I am a complete novice) but now I think I have the confidence to give it a try (when the weather starts to get cooler of course). just ask HOW the people are going to pack the eggs and if not to your liking ask them if they would mind packing them one of the ways mentioned here

I am getting an incubator for Christmas (my hubby is the best) I have to agree :-D [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif] :-D - he is a keeper and some new chook houses built so that will give me time to work things out before buying eggs ;) just have it all sorted before the good eggs arrive = I suggest you buy some that will be a trial run first - the breed you want to work with but with the knowledge that you may get none of the first lot hatch being the frist run in the new machine - then once you are confident get the eggs you will get young from = IF the trial run eggs hatch = all the better and remember only hatch in the cooler months so they grow our properly

We don't have a lot of local breeders to buy chooks from and the auctions have had mixed results including introducing some not very nice things to our existing chookies :( this is far more comon that you may think and the main reason so many buy eggs now = you can control what the chicks are exposed to if you hatch and raise them yrself We bought a heap of young Silkies a couple of years ago and all had died within 9 months (not all at once) dissapointing and sad regardsless so I have given up on them for a bit. I have some young Dorkings and Aracaunas now so want to give them a go and I was worried about too much inbreeding in the future so I think eggs in the post could be a good way to combat this given our distance away from breeders 52.gif yep - you will be able to do fine with eggs = just remember NOT to expect every posted egg to hatch = expect 2 from 12 and you wont be dissapointed - 6 from 12 and you are doing well = more than 6 and you are doing great and all along - you wont be dissapointed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:02 am 

Thanks soozorps - great advice there :-) When I get the incubator I will have some of our own eggs to trial it with - it will be a good way to see if we get any fertile ones, two of our roosters have been a little suspect :oops: I know it will take some time and practice before we start getting any chicks and I understand about the postage thing. I think I would be esctactic if we even get 1 to hatch! :-D

'All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning' - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Karen_H wrote:
Thanks soozorps - great advice there :-) yr welcome - and most here would and can give the same advise - I just happened to be the first to answer I think I would be esctactic if we even get 1 to hatch! :-D one or 12 or 24 either way I am always over the moon a_partyguy.gif :-D a_bravo.gif [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif] (overkill with the smilies - but its true)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 pm 

Yep, I can relate to that! [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]

'All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning' - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:18 pm 

how do quail eggs go being posted are they more delicate because they are smaller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:18 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

the quail eggs need to be wrapped with extra tissues being so small = just enough so they dont move and are snug in the carton

I had quail eggs sent to me a few years ago = to hatch to suprise a dear friend = the people just put them in the carton taped it shut then put that in a regular post bag = took 4 days to arrive and every egg was smashed = when I spoke with them I asked WHY they hadnt packed as I reqested = answer = too much trouble = :shock: :-? :roll: :shock: :o = idiots!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 am 

I had a similar experience with mixed bantam eggs the person who shall remain nameless just put the eggs in an egg carton then wrapped the egg carton in news paper what they failed to see which was so obvious was the eggs could move around inside the carton and what I got was scrambled eggs. Their reaction was I can't control the post so not my fault my reaction to that was *&%%$#$$^^^^^*****!@@###%%%%% and hung up

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

HENPECKING wrote:
I had a similar experience with mixed bantam eggs the person who shall remain nameless just put the eggs in an egg carton then wrapped the egg carton in news paper what they failed to see which was so obvious was the eggs could move around inside the carton and what I got was scrambled eggs. Their reaction was I can't control the post so not my fault, my reaction to that was *&%%$#$$^^^^^*****!@@###%%%%% and hung up

OH SNAP !!!! on your behalf = there is NO reason why one can not sit and wrap a few eggs = it wont take away from their life in general and will make for good relations with those that get the eggs from them

again = OH SNAP!! and ignoring the obvious 'bad' words used by you and referring to the 'hanging up' :-D sidesplit.gif

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:09 am 

Thanks soozorps following on from my other post in the other topic so 2 from 12 is not good is it, is there a way to improve those odds?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:27 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

2 from 12 is realistic
6 from 12 is very good and more than that is excellent

to improve the odds means the sender has to ensure their stock are well cared for well fed and that fertility is esablished each week for the entire time they are sending
that the eggs are no more than 4-5 days old and well wrapped
but once they leave senders possession no one can say how the package was handled
so expect 2 from 12 any more are a bonus

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next