AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Will my Pekins breed?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:07 am 

Hi there.

A rookie questions (again!).. if I stop collecting my Pekin eggs, will they hatch?

I'm not necessarily wanting to breed at the moment but I just wondered what would happen if I left it to nature. My drake Pekin looks like he's got the hang of mating now so who knows what those eggs may hold!?

conf665

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Will my Pekins breed?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:07 am 

TP Member: Yes
If the duck is broody and she sits full term and the eggs are fertile then yes they will hatch. If you stop collecting the eggs that will help trigger her breeding but not guaranteed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:31 am 

Thanks Weston.. the nests are quite feathered so it looks like they might be getting ready so I'll leave an egg or two and see what happens. It would be so lovely to have a few little ducklings!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:38 am 
­
­

TP Member: Yes
Yes thats a good sign when there are lots of feathers that is 99% associated with nesting gluck.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:49 pm 

You will know when they want to sit as they will get a little aggressive around the eggs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm 

Well.. some time has passed since my last post and although my ducks didn't breed back then, they seem to be on to something now!

One of my Pekins started laying eggs in a different spot - I didn't realise and it wasn't until I spotted her sitting out in their run did I realise she had started building a little nest and a little collection of eggs!

After reading many a forum, I decided to move the nest into their house (under her watch) as they get locked up at night so with great skill, and balance, I managed to move the nest and it's seven eggs successfully into the house and she has continued to lay and sit on them.

A few weeks later, and a mountain of a nest, both her and her little buddy are now sitting on two beautiful nests full of eggs under the watchful eye of their shared drake who has become a very good gatekeeper!

It has been a few weeks now that they have spent most of the day on their nests.. I have been getting them up at feeding times for a stretch and a wash and a walk and I know that we still have a few weeks to go but it's exciting!! Not just because I might have a little brood of ducks but to see them doing their mother duck thing on their own (and looking so proud of it!) is just amazing!

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else out there has had success with their Pekins breeding.. as I believe they aren't known to be good mothers?

happy_duck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:47 am 

I have a friend that has a large flock of pekin ducks say around 40 I think she has no trouble breeding 100 in a year sometimes more and all hers and mother raised

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:04 am 

Wonderful news.. thank you.

It wasn't my intention to breed, as I originally asked for all girls but one turned out to be a drake and now I haven't the heart to stop them doing what comes naturally..

We'll see what happens and if any end up hatching and then build a bigger pond!!

dd66789

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm 

gluck.gif I hope you get a few ducklings they are so cute

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 pm 

Thanks Ezygeese.. I would seriously die if we did get ducklings and would not be able to leave them alone!!

I have separated the drake in the evenings to give the girls some down time as the back of their heads were getting quite bald.. does anyone know at what point he should be kept constantly separate from them?

I have read that drakes can sometime kill the little ones.. wondered also if the two girls will be ok once their separate broods hatch..?

First time mom to be here so any advice welcomed.. conf665

Profile E-mail  

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, Majestic-12 [Bot], MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5679965 guests