The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Breeding
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:46 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Hi all,
I am expecting eggs soon, thats if I am not already getting them fed to the ravens. I have built up branches so thick around the nest sites and am hoping this will stop the ravens from accessing the nests. Has anyone else got right into the season yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:59 am 

Hi Mrpeabody,
Started spring off with one broken egg laid from the perch, then a few days later found one of my white hens dead in the pen :cry: :cry: :cry: still waiting on report from vet re cause of death. There was no sign of any problems up till this time.

Then witnessed paecocks mating and today found one egg laid in the dirt --- so it looks like my season has started --- however watching them very closely at the moment till I hear back from the vet. :!: :!:

Regards,
Snowball :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:45 pm 
­
­

Hi all, sorry to read about your loss Snowball, hope all is well with the rest of your clan? We have all Incubators in full swing with eggs from Peafowl, (10) some Pheasants, Pekin Bantams, Mallards, Black Ducks, Mandarins. Only have 1 guinea fowl laying at the moment (Lavender Pied) but it's early days yet! It's been a great start to the season & an early one at that, about 6 weeks earlier that last year but we have had good rain throughout the year, especially through our dry season (winter) and we are expecting a good wet season (summer) "it's all good"

Thanks
Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:01 pm 

Hi all,
Have been away on a fishing trip and now just catching up with every thing ---- vet report on my white hen - - was bird had a major internal haemorrhage which could be rat poison or snake bite -- but without doing more lenghtly test could not say which --- but the main thing being nothing that would affect the other birds --- I'm going with the snake bite as I have a very careful rat poison plan.

Have 5 eggs from the other white hen in the cage :D :D and the mandarins have one egg :) :) , incubator still full of chook eggs at moment --- have lots of F2 crosses hatched so looking forward to them to colour up.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:38 pm 
­
­

Hi Snowball, Welcome back! Did you Catch much?? Thats good news from the Vet, as you say the main thing is its nothing that can affect the others. Congrats on your eggs, you need to tell the Chooks to make way for the "Big Boys" well big eggs anyway!.

Hope your season goes really well.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:04 pm 

Hi PA,
Great fun on the fishing trip but one of the worst as far as fish --- I only got one Barra, likewise my mate in the boat, the other boat in the camp got three. But as I said great time and saw lots of beautiful bird life,
Fish eagles,Burdekin Ducks,Azure Kingfishers just to name a few.

My white hen is sitting at the moment not sure if I should leave her or rob the eggs and put in incubater. Have seen the normal hen mating with the split white cock but nothing yet.

What time spacing do Mandarins lay their eggs :?: :?: as I have nothing since that first one.

Starting to scale down on the chook eggs in the incubater to make room for the more important ones.

Cheers for now,regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:46 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Sorry I missed this post I started myself!!
Glad to hear people are getting eggs set and chicks starting. Sorry to hear about that hen snowball, it is good to get a diagnosis though it puts the mind to rest doesnt it. I have got the chook hatch well under way with two lots of 18 already hatched. First lot I got 16 out of 18 hatch and second lot I got 17 out of 18, not to bad!! The turkeys have just had the first hatch with 3 out of four buffs hatching yesterday. I got my first ringneck pheasant egg today and the golden hens are digging nests under the branches I provided. No peahens laying yet, however, I expect it soon as I have witnessed some mating and some hens have the typical wing drop associated with egg laying. I have lost 2 guinea hens probably sitting on nests so I clipped the remaining hens and put them in with the peafowl to hopefully stop them getting eaten by foxes.
I will update soon hopefully with stories of eggs from peahens.
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:38 pm 

Hi Mrpeabody,
Glad to hear you are having a good run with your birds ----those foxes seem to be a problem -- as luck would have it we don't have foxes up here YET --- however rabbits have moved into the area so one would assume that the foxes will follow :?: :?: :?:

Good luck with your breeding,regards,

PS. I was very relieved when I got the vet report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:18 pm 
­
­

Hi Snowball, Mature Mandarins will lay every 2nd or 3rd day until a full round is layed. If the Duck is laying for the first time then is quite normal for them to lay intermittently or to only lay one or two egs in the first season. We have several pairs and no two are the same for example, we have one duck that lays every day & lays 8 eggs and at the other end we have one that only lays 3 eggs spaced from 2 days to 5 days apart.

Good luck with your Mandarins.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:39 pm 
­
­

Hi Mrpeabody, That's an excellent hatching rate congratulations! also congrats on your Turkeys, looking forward to some Photos of your new borns. like Snowball we don't have bloody Foxes (thankfully) but we do have the odd Dingo, but our dogs sort them out quick smart!

We also don't have Rabbits in our area so I think we're quite lucky.

P.s Snowball, maybe we need to follow the Chinese and build a wall to "keep out the Rabbits" har har!!!!
(we have an add running here & a bloke tells his son thats why that built the great wall of China)

Thanks

Profile E-mail