AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: what to look for in a show pekin (help) i have put pic up
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 pm 

What to look for in a show pekin. i would like to show one of my pekin hen at other local show in June. i have just got 4 so can someone help me as i have not showen them befor.

Last edited by oops on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: what to look for in a show pekin (help)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 am 

Oops,

Best option is to post some pictures of the hens. If possible side and front view shots. This will allow the APF family to provide comments.

Rhode Red

Post subject: Re: what to look for in a show pekin (help) i have pic up
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:35 pm 

i here are the pic of my two pekin (POL) hope someone can help me i have not showen poultry befor (only showen horses)
i put a pic of my boy in too can you tell me if he is any good they all are not the good of pic (sorry)

Attachments:
File comment: my boy
IMG_4596_1.JPG
IMG_4596_1.JPG [ 22.49 KiB | Viewed 3616 times ]
File comment: my boy
IMG_4592_1.JPG
IMG_4592_1.JPG [ 42.52 KiB | Viewed 3600 times ]
File comment: pekin2
IMG_4589_1.JPG
IMG_4589_1.JPG [ 24.06 KiB | Viewed 3627 times ]
File comment: pekin2
IMG_4586_1.JPG
IMG_4586_1.JPG [ 37.71 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]
File comment: pekin 1
IMG_4584_2.JPG
IMG_4584_2.JPG [ 36.03 KiB | Viewed 3580 times ]
File comment: pekin 1
IMG_4578_1.JPG
IMG_4578_1.JPG [ 25.01 KiB | Viewed 3621 times ]

Post subject: Re: what to look for in a show pekin (help) i have put pic up
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:12 am 

Love the colour of that rooster very nice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:49 am 

I am by no means a pekin expert but my daughter shows hers with great success so I will just tell you what we do and look for.

They should be realitively ball shaped and you should not be able to see much of their feet if anything at all. The feet should be well feathered also. My daughter (who is 11yrs) washes hers if needed at least a week before the show and then moisturises the feet so they are nice and clean with no dry loose skin or build up of skin, you probably won't have that because they are pol. It is important that they are clean and free of lice and mites for the show. Give it a go I think you'll do fine and have fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:51 am 

Oops,

Thanks for the photo's.
As with all hobbies we all have to start somewhere. As you are a horse person and have previous "showing" (like my sister), I am assuming, you will have a good understanding about style (type), body comformation and how to feed and condition your aminals. This probably places you in better position than many new the the fancy who have had little or not previous experience.

The local ag show is a good place to start. gluck.gif . In terms of preparation as per sebducks, you should consider washing your birds at least a week before the show. There are a number of threads talking about washing on the site.
Housing the birds. I would suggest that you separate the boy from his girls. This will stop him breaking feather his and theirs (especially as they are now getting close to laying, if not already he will be trying to mate with them). If you can put them in a small pen (training pen 600mm x 600mm as an example) with pine shavings or straw in the floor or ground, this will also help to protect the foot feathering from breakages. This also trains the bird to be settled in a small pen such as the show pens. Handle the birds as much as you can, a judge loves a quite bird, and they show themselves better when they are relaxed.

Always feed your birds a good quality feed, that way they have every chance to grow and maintain good quality feathers.

In terms of the birds they have good colouring, lacking a little in type (as per sebduck Pekins should almost be a ball shape) and feather (I am being very critical, sorry for the tough love :)). But don't panick, all is not lost.

If you have not already can I suggest that you do a little research on Pekins. Have a look at the Pekin of Austraila web site, get in contact with your local Poultry club or contact some breeders in your area, they may allow you to visit their yard, superising how much can be learnt that way and of course there are a number of Pekin breeders within APF, who may be able to help you. As an example the QLD Pekin club have their annual show at Rosewood on the 2nd week in July, you would get to see around 300+ pekins all colours, or go to your Royal show.
I hope this helps.
Rhode Red

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:42 pm 

thanks for the info. it will help me a lot and i think i will have to look for some more or try and breed them with the more ball shape.(they are my 1st lot of pekins so i think i can only get better next yr) the kids love them and they get lots of handleing by them. my hubby is makeing me a few show pen so i can train them in. it is not as hard as showing horses but i will be still breeding and showing my horses too. thanks again

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:39 am 

Can I ask is it true you should not feed the fowl 12 hours before a show so their crop in not protruding when judging takes place?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:54 am 

Feeding some time before judging depends entirely on the breed.
If it is any breed of Gamefowl the answer would be NO don't feed them, they are a compact and streamlined fowl in outline and a full crop detracts from that clean line you are after.
With soft feather light breeds a small feed can be OK as it fills out the chest and rounds off the lines to give a flow to the outline.
With soft feather heavy breeds and the likes of Pekins it is a definite YES, feed them as it gives fullness and depth to the chest to have a full crop and adds to the overall general appearance of the judges first impression which carries a deal of weight.
Usually the heavy breeds are given a feed of grains etc at penning time.
Care must be taken not to leave an excess of feed in the pens as it has been noted that some cheats feed exclusively a specific grain to indiccate to judges that these are thier birds.It is for this reason many clubs ban the feeding of a wet mash, corn or the like and will only allow wheat to be fed BEFORE judging, after judging you can feed your usual diet that the bird are used to.
Hope that answers your question, like so many things a simple yes or no is not always the answer you need.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:56 pm 

Thank you for an amazing reply you really know you stuff